The Senior Mainframe Storage and Backup Engineer (SSE) is responsible for the installation, implementation, and ongoing management of an EMC centric storage area network environment. This high level position requires a wide background in Mainframe storage and backup. The SSE will be responsible for managing and maintaining all Mainframe storage, Mainframe FICON switches, and Mainframe backups. Must understand mainframe storage provisioning and the relationship of I/O GEN and the set of hardware resources that are available to the Mainframe operating system such as LPAR support, Channels as it relates to ESCON and FICON Channels / directors (switches), control units and DASD devices. Although the aforementioned tasks are managed and controlled by the mainframe administrator, the SSE must intimately understand and know how the configuration impacts the storage and mainframe environment. The SSE must keep account of DASD device ranges assigned to the mainframe. SSE must maintain a highly resilient SRDF infrastructure between data centers and understand SRDF configuration between storage arrays. Must understand device groups and pairing for SRDF.
This position reports to the Enterprise Data Management Manager and is part of a dedicated storage team that works closely with other engineering teams to provide technical support for all storage management-related activities. This individual may also act as a liaison to other departments, representing the storage team on all technical matters related to storage management. Must be able to follow industry best practices and have in-depth trouble shooting skills on EMC VMAX platforms. ESE will be expected to document the Mainframe FICON SAN environment and present documentation in a concise easy to understand format. SSE will be expected to lead multiple projects simultaneously with little input and attend multiple meetings weekly to stay in control of projects. SSE must proactively seek information pertaining to storage equipment and maintain its operational firmware and operating systems. Engineer will be expected to perform in a high paced environment and produce reporting on a variety of storage metrics on demand. Must understand the importance of storage capacity planning, hardware inventory, and storage hardware maintenance agreements. Must be able to maintain an enterprise wide storage monitoring, reporting, and alerting system. Must be willing to share knowledge with junior storage administrators. Must be able to delegate workload to junior administrators through standard operating procedures. Must be able to manage entire workload through Service Now (SNOW) ticketing system.
Daily operational tasks include:
- Plan and manage the provisioning of storage hardware.
- Monitor entire storage enterprise with SRS
- Manage Brocade Switch environment with Brocade Network Advisor
- Maintain data entry for the SAN environment in Service Now.
- Maintain Inventory of the complete SAN infrastructure and understand all aspects of maintenance agreements.
- Maintain an N-1 firmware and software state on all storage equipment.
- Provide quarterly reports on the N-1 state of all SAN equipment.
- Create and Maintain a Standard Operating Procedure.
- Ensures change management / Service Now tickets are processed in a timely fashion.
- Remain aware of all SAN related hardware and software maintenance agreements.
- Collaborate with application developers and hosting teams on project initiatives including performance optimization and capacity management.
- Provide knowledge transfers to other administrators and engineers as needed.
- Provide feedback for new functionality, OS releases and product enhancements.
- Assign DASD devices to mainframe, both FBA and CKD
- Make additions or deletions to DASD/tape storage infrastructures as required
- In depth knowledge of z/VM and zLinux configuration
- Lead in the development and testing of disaster recovery plans.
- Identify opportunities for automation of standard activities.
- Capture, analyzes and evaluates current systems and provide guidance on future technical developments.
- Attend change and release management meetings to ensure communication of approved and planned changes.
- 24x7 environment support including patch/upgrade support.
- Familiarity with Databases (Oracle, SQL Server)
- Perform ongoing operational activities, problem management, user assistance and training as necessary
Daily Administrative tasks include:
- Attending multiple meetings weekly for project discussions.
- Work closely with project managers to deliver projects on time.
- Acting as project manager for internal projects.
- Create and maintain technical and team documentation and workflow processes for storage environment.
- Meet with vendors as needed to stay current with industry best practices.
- Communicate with storage vendor engineers to create support cases for problems and responds to automated alerts from SAN equipment.
- Attend weekly team meetings.
- Assist with designing and managing migration from IBM 7720 VTL and TS3500 Tape Library to EMC DLm8500 Disk Libraries (Virtual tape) for Mainframe used with DD990 Data Domain
- Assist with migration from Oracle VSM 5 and VSM 6 to DLm8500 VTL
- Decommission of SL8500s Library System
- Computer Science Degree - BA or equivalent. Experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Ten (12) years’ work experience in the Mainframe arena
- Experience with Disaster Recovery tests
- Experience with mainframe storage replication a must.
- IBM VTL experience 7700 series with TS3500 tape library,
- IBM Protect Tier VTL experience,
- Oracle VSM VTL experience,
- EMC DLm experience
- IBM z/OS 2.3 Job Control Language (JCL)
- IBM z/OS 2.3 Time Sharing Option (TSO) Interactive System Productivity Facility (ISPF)
- IBM z/OS 2.3 Command List (CLIST) and Restructured Execution Executive (REXX)
- Oracle / STK Enterprise Library Software (ELS)
- Oracle StorageTek Library Console (SLC)
- Oracle Virtual Operator Panel (VOP)
- Library Content Manager (LCM) for SL8500 and VSM
- EMC DLm utilities
- Examine Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) parameter library
- Support IBM Mainframe storage management disciplines utilizing DF/SMS ACS routines
- General TCP/IP networking knowledge
- Disaster recovery fundamentals
- Global Mirror and SRDF fundamentals
- Experience with zVSE, zVM and zOS Operating systems
- CompTIA A+, CompTIA Security + (Does not have to be current)
- Cisco Certified Networking Associate (CCNA)
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) • Proficient with VCenter 6.x
- Storage Administrator (EMCSA) Specialist or (EMCDS) or (EMCIE)
- IBM Certified Specialist
- EMC SAN, and SAN Fabrics (Brocade), FICON Fabrics (IBM).
- Experience with tier-1 storage EMC VMAX40K, EMC POWERMAX VMAX all flash,
- Extensive knowledge with configuring IBM z series Mainframe storage
- Knowledge provisioning storage for the following operating system environments: Sun Solaris, UNIX, Linux, Windows and VMware.
- Complete understanding of compression and deduplication technologies.
- Analytical and trouble shooting skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Use of Visio, Microsoft Office suite of products and communication tools such as SKYPE, SLACK, and WebEx.
All candidates supporting the CMS programs must have lived in the United States at least three (3) out of the last five (5) years prior in order to be considered.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Administration
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.