Leidos is seeking a charismatic individual with the desire to shape the future of transportation. We're looking for a Mid-level Data Scientist in McLean, Virginia that will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of spatial and non-spatial data, and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better results. Your primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and prepare technical reports. The successful candidate will have an ability to perform a variety of duties surrounding data and machine learning technology as well as quickly adapt to research and development (R&D) solutions.
Leidos operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where emerging technologies are developed to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts throughout the nation and internationally. Saxton Lab provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) / vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) technologies, cooperative driving automation (CDA) systems, modeling and simulation, open source software, data management, and cloud-based systems.
We’re a hands-on lab where you not only get to see quick results from your work, but help develop the solutions in an agile and supportive environment. We develop hardware, software, and vehicle solutions from concept to design, development, prototyping, testing, integration, and deployment.
This position is located at FHWA’s Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, VA, and may provide the opportunity to travel to meet with industry experts and partners, provide technical support, and participate or present at conferences.
- Mine and analyze raw data to drive optimization and improvement of R&D solutions.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Implement new statistical or other mathematical methodologies as needed for specific models or analysis.
- Initiate the experimentation of various technologies and tools with the vision of creating innovative data driven insights for the business.
- Identify data patterns and trends.
- Perform graphical model analysis
- Possess a solid machine-learning foundation
- Establishing efficient, automated processes for model development, validation, implementation, and large-scale data analysis
- Prepare presentations and technical reports to illustrate and explain analyses, tools, applications and findings.
Required Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field.
- Must have 5+ years relevant experience.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check.
- Experience processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Proficiency with program languages, tools, and applications (e.g. Python, SQL, R, ArcGIS, Tableau, ggplot) for analysis and visualization of transportation data.
- Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms and AI.
- Experience with applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Ability to work independently and with small teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across multiple projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, along with the ability to listen and accurately identify client needs and issues.
- Experience with handling unstructured data.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as Hive, Pig.
- Ability to perform scripting and programming skills such as Java, C/C++ is a plus
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase.
- Working knowledge of ITS, V2V/V2I, and/or CDA systems.
- Experience and understanding of transportation standards (e.g., SAE J2735, IEEE 1609, NTCIP 1202, etc.).
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Data Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.