Leidos is hiring a Communications Intern in McLean, Virginia, to support a team of researchers in communicating the latest in automated vehicle technology. The Communications Intern will play a significant role on the Leidos team supporting the communications and outreach needs associated with the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be part of a larger research team that develops new connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA.
This role will support the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a state-of-the-art facility for conducting connected and automated vehicle (CAV) research. The laboratory enables FHWA to validate and refine new transportation services and technologies, including intelligent transportation systems (ITS). The position will assist in the execution of the overall communications strategy and implementation plan to inform, educate, engage, and develop stakeholders in the transportation industry. This includes efficiently creating and measuring the effectiveness of a variety of communications, like fact sheets, webpage content, PowerPoint presentations, videos, infographics, and topical articles.
The successful candidate has:
· A passion to write and develop content for a variety of communications platforms and publications.
· An appetite to create visuals for an assortment of digital and print collateral.
· An interest in planning for conferences and executing a unified vision.
· Support the creation of content for social media, webpages, public announcements, fact sheets, presentations, and other associated media and materials.
· Create summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and lay audiences.
· Contribute to outreach for stakeholder engagement activities.
· Track, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of stakeholder outreach and engagement activities.
· Assist with development of events to publicize Office of Operations Research & Development (R&D) activities.
· Support logistics for working with FHWA editors and FHWA Public Affairs as needed on the development and publication of communication materials and media.
· Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
· Currently enrolled in a degree program in marketing, journalism, communications, or a related discipline.
· Experience with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
· Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English.
· Capable of transforming complicated subject matter and diverse source material into coherent, engaging, and accurate content for a variety of audiences.
· Ability to work independently and with small teams.
· Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
· Ability to thrive in highly flexible, rapidly changing, ambiguous work environment.
Desired Skills and Experience:
· Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Software.
· Experience with technical writing and following different communication style guides.
· Familiar with web design and development.
· Experience with web conferencing tools and platforms, preferably Adobe Connect.
· Ability to learn substance of research quickly.
· Intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects.
· Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
· Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
· Aptitude for technology and interest in automated vehicles (AVs) and ITS.
· Knowledge of the USDOT, transportation industry and emerging technologies.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Intern Technical
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.