Leidos is seeking an experienced individual to function as an Environmental Point of Contact (EPOC) as part of the Kennedy Environmental and Medical Contract (KEMCON) located at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC), Florida. This position supports the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Environmental Management Branch (EMB) by providing environmental guidance for construction projects implemented by several NASA KSC organizations including NASA Construction of Facilities (CoF), NASA Spaceport Integration (SI) Institutional Projects Branch, and the NASA Exploration Ground Systems (EGS) program.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Ensure that environmental compliance is achieved during all phases of the project (i.e., concept and design through construction and closeout) and promptly communicate issues/concerns to the NASA customer and its contractors.
- Recognize environmental health, worker protection and safety concerns and facilitate/ coordinate support from the KEMCON environmental health office to address the issues.
- Participate in regulatory inspections and NASA Agency Environmental & Energy Functional Reviews (EEFRs). Work with the construction contractors to address and close any findings associated with these inspections.
- Maintains work areas in a clean and orderly condition. Complies with all Company safety policies and site-specific safety procedures. Ensures safe operating conditions within area of responsibility. Identifies potential hazards, concerns, and safety incidents and reports to supervisory personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, geology, chemistry, biology, or a related scientific discipline with 4 years of experience in a role that provided environmental compliance guidance to an organization, facility, construction project or contractor personnel.
- General understanding and ability to interpret environmental regulations related to stormwater, hazardous and controlled wastes, PCBs, registered storage tanks, and natural resources.
- Thorough knowledge of labeling, storage, handling and disposal requirements for managing hazardous wastes under the large quantity generator designation which requires stricter regulatory oversight.
- Basic knowledge of environmental health issues related to asbestos, silica and heavy metals as well as general worker protection and safety practices commonly utilized on construction sites.
- Understanding of general operational and work practices commonly utilized at construction sites/projects varying from small remodeling/refurbishment projects to large-scale building construction and/or demolition projects.
- Ability to read, analyze and understand engineering designs, documents and contracts and effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, changes, corrections and issues/concerns regarding this information which may possibly be confidential in nature.
- Possess strong organization skills and the ability to coordinate resources to accomplish work within defined project schedules and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently to meet established goals and objectives while providing periodic status updates to supervisor, mangers and customers.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs especially Word and Excel and the ability to access, navigate and input/extract data from databases using web-portal interface.
- Ability to obtain proper clearance to work at a secure federal facility.
- General experience in environmental health, safety and/or worker protection is a preferred.
- Familiarization with KSC environmental policies, processes and procedures is desired.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Environmental Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.