- Support an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), customer networks, Intranet and Internet and other data communications systems or a segment of a network system.
- Monitor network to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability. Proactively identify risks in the network and develop a plan to mitigate them.
- Provides support of numerous business requirements into telecommunications (e.g., LAN, MAN, WAN, Voice and Video).
- Diagnose hardware and software problems, and replace defective components.
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Operate master consoles in order to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
- Design, configure, and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Perform a full range of upgrades to the existing network architecture.
- Review user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provide advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements.
- Perform long term O&M activities to include tier 3 troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Utilize complex network analysis tools to identify and correct problems in the network.
- Prepare troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels.
- Provide fault management for the network and supports performance management functions.
- Respond, isolate, and resolve network troubles. Monitor alarms and alerts to identify network elements causing network degradation or failure.
- Monitor security posture of the network, and report suspected violations to designated authority.
- Coordinate with configuration management and implementation teams.
- Analyze network characteristics (e.g., traffic, connect time, transmission speeds, packet sizes, and throughput) and recommends procurement, removals, and modifications to network components.
- Create and/or maintain operating systems, communications software, data base packages, compilers, assemblers, and utility programs.
- Apply software, hardware, and standards information technology skills in the analysis, specification, development, integration, and acquisition of open systems for Information Management (IM) applications. Ensure these systems and applications are compliant with standards for open systems architectures, reference models, and profiles of standards - such as the IEEE Open Systems Environment (OSE) reference model - as they apply to the implementation and specification of IM solutions on the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application. Evaluate and recommend COTS applications and methodologies that can be acquired to provide interoperable, portable, and scalable information technology solutions.
- Directs compilation of records and reports concerning network operations and maintenance.
- Troubleshoots network performance issues. Analyzes network traffic and provides capacity-planning solutions.
- Monitors and responds to complex technical control facility hardware and software problems.
- Interfaces with vendor support service groups to ensure proper escalation during outages or periods of degraded system performance.
- Manages the purchase, testing, installation, and support of network communications, including LAN/MAN/WAN systems.
- Monitors and responds to hardware, software, and network problems.
- Provides the routine testing and analysis of all elements of the network facilities (including power, software, communications machinery, lines, modems, and terminals).
- Utilizes software and hardware tools, identifies, and diagnoses complex problems and factors affecting network performance.
- Troubleshoots network systems when necessary and makes improvements to the network
- Responsible for installing/troubleshooting and maintaining all systems on a consistent basis and reporting break/fix trends.
- Candidate must have hands on troubleshooting and fault isolation of IT business systems. Applicant must have a strong understanding of the OSI model and configuration of routing protocols such as EIGRP, OSPF, MPLS, BGP, LDP.
- BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Network Administration and Ops
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.