Leidos has an opening for a Science Coordinator in College Station, Texas. The position will support the Human Health and Performance Contract (HHPC) within NASA’s Human Systems Engineering Department at JSC. The Science Coordinator will provide technical support for provisioning tasks supporting the flight food system for International Space Station. The Science Coordinator will provide assistance with thermostabilized pouched food production, coordination of student workers, and participation in tours or other public education activities, as required.
Primary Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Participation in thermostabilized pouched food production, through:
- Conduct inventory of the ingredients, including dry goods, refrigerated, and frozen items
- Maintain an inventory of the required consumable materials and chemicals
- Picking up ingredients from local stores, or receiving them at the SFR facility and storing them as required (dry ingredients cage, refrigerator, freezer)
- Leading students performing the following activities:
- Facility sanitation – floors, walk-in cooler, equipment
- Weigh out ingredients (scales, utensils)
- Print product information on pouches (Leibinger pouch printer and conveyor belt)
- Batch processing of sauces (steam jacketed kettle, stove top)
- Product testing, including Bostwick, pH, and ⁰Brix
- Assemble/fill thermocouple pouches
- Fill pouches by hand or using the filling equipment
- Pouch seal area inspection (pre- and post-sealing)
- Seal pouches (vertical chamber sealer and straight bar sealer)
- Perform analytical testing, including residual gas, creep, and seal integrity testing, and verification of pouch weights
- Pouch labeling and casing
- Operation of the pilot retort to thermally process packaged food
- Prepare thermal process data records for submission to the thermal process authority, for determination of commercial sterility
Coordination of student workers, through:
- Coordinate/schedule the student workers, work with the facility manager to hire student workers, as needed
- Conducting training activities with student workers
Participation in tours and public outreach events, through:
- Lead food production briefings and facility tours, as scheduled
- Provide facility/equipment demonstrations for food processing classes, as scheduled
Successful candidates will have the following:
Education/Experience – BS degree in Food Science with one year of experience producing products in the Space Food Research facility, or demonstrated experience producing thermostabilized pouched foods in a production setting.
This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and/or systems. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.