Leidos is seeking a post-doctoral researcher with experience in experimental operations with a focus on reaction modeling, preparing, characterizing, and testing catalysts. The candidate should have significant experience with using flow reactor systems, MS, TGA/DSC, XRD, SEM, and other analytical devices. This work will focus on development of chemical looping oxygen carriers for combustion applications and coal gasification. Specifically, it will look at oxygen carriers that can gasify coal into synthesis gas for later use in Fisher Tropsch reactions or to produce H2, and catalysts that enhances coal-steam gasification.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Creating and executing experimental test plans of reactor systems including TGA/DSC, fixed bed and fluidized bed reactors.
- Synthesizing, characterizing and testing catalysts to evaluate performance.
- Collecting and analyzing experimental data.
- Reaction model development with the experimental data.
- Utilizing engineering knowledge and experience to design, optimize and troubleshoot small-scale experiments.
- Presenting ideas and results to the research team.
- Contributing to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Working independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assisting or leading efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- A PhD degree in chemical engineering or a related field and 1 or more years of post-doctoral experimental experience.
- Possess knowledge of proper laboratory operations to produce high quality data and results while following proper safety practices.
- Experience in preparing metal-based catalysts for high pressure and high temperature reactions and dealing with a variety of chemicals.
- Previous work history in conducting research and development in a structured laboratory environment.
- Experience and/or familiarity with conducting research in a US Government National Laboratory setting where conducting safe operations is paramount.
- Familiarity with reaction model development, ASPEN and HSC Chemistry software.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.