A Hydrate Researcher is needed to develop NETL’s own THCM simulator for methane hydrate reservoir model. The code development will be based on NETL’s previous efforts including 1D/2D flow simulator coupled with nonlinear finite element method (FEM), new geomechanics constitutive models, and analytical formulation for sand migration, which will be linked to NETL’s flow simulator, Mix3HydraResSim. Gas production from methane hydrate bearing sediment (MHBS) is a complex process in which the hydraulic behavior of sediments is affected by the deformation that the sediment goes through and it involves changes in fluid pressure, effective stresses, and geomechanical properties of hydrate sediments.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develop NETL’s own THCM simulator for methane hydrate reservoir model.
- Present ideas and results to the research team
- Contributing to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Working independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assisting or leading efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- A minimum of a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Hydrogeology is required, and less than 1 year of experience.
- Experience working in reservoir simulations for flow and geomechanics and working in computer coding and parallelization.
- Must be fluent on Fortran, and Matlab (or equivalent).
- Previous work experience in the reservoir simulation with software, including TOUGH+, Mix3HydreResSim, STOMP, and FEHM.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.