The Leidos Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Portfolio has an opening for a talented Research Scientist to assist the Chemical Biological Center (CBC) – Chemical, Biological, Radiological (CBR) Filtration Branch in basic and applied research efforts using state of the art instrumentation. Located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, our ideal candidate will support the research of novel materials, instrumentation, and method applications for chemical warfare agent (CWA) characterization and fate determination.
The Research Scientist will perform tests and experiments in support of principle investigators on multiple funded projects for various Government agencies. Support involves working closely with other members of a multi-discipline team to plan, design, and conduct experiments using characterization and detection techniques.
- Functions as a team member with chemists, engineers, biologists, and scientists by performing research with chemical and biological warfare material (CBWM) detection and characterization.
- Operates and maintains instrumentation for material characterization to include gas chromatography-mass selective detection (GC-MSD) and other analytical instruments.
- Executes experiments revolving around the characterization of physical properties of various materials.
- Synthesizes, develops, and characterizes nanomaterials and their interactions with chemical warfare material.
- Generates test data and contributes to technical report development.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Advanced Degree in Chemistry, Biology or other related field with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in areas of chemical warfare agent characterization, detection, and identification.
- Demonstrated experience in synthesis and/or characterization of nanomaterials and polymer composites.
- Demonstrated experience in safety and handling of hazardous materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge in analyzing and reporting analytical data
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to wear laboratory personal protective equipment to include air purifying respirator.
- Broad proficiency in microscopy, chromatography, spectroscopy and other technologies relevant to chemical and biological defense.
- Has knowledge of current CBRNE threats.
- Hands-on experience in working with CBWMs and other toxic chemicals.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.