Leidos has a career opportunity for a User Experience (UX) Designer to support a critical modernization effort of the Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data System (AFATDS) in order to satisfy the vision of Program Executive Office (PEO) Command Control Communications - Tactical (C3T) and Project Manager Mission Command. In this assignment, you will support this effort by working with a multidisciplinary UX team to produce wire-frames, mock-ups, and prototypes which implement the modernization of this system with an effective, efficient, aesthetic, and uncluttered user experience.
The AFATDS is a multi-service, automated command, coordination, communication, and computing system that provides automated fire support and coordination to all echelons, from firing unit through theater level, at Army, Marine Corps, Naval Firing Platforms, Navy Command and Amphibious Assault Ships, Air Force Operations Centers, and Joint Command and Control Centers. AFATDS enables the automatic application of the Force Commander’s guidance in the Fires Warfighting Function to plan, execute, and deliver effects at all levels of command within the current and future force. AFATDS can automatically tailor the selection of fire support assets (field artillery, mortars, close air support, naval gunfire, attack helicopters, and offensive electronic warfare assets) based on the Commander’s guidance, thereby enabling maximum effective use of all available fire support assets across the full spectrum of conflict.
This effort is to meet the government’s objective to modernize the underlying AFATDS architecture, redesign the AFATDS front-end to a fully web- and role-based user interface, integrate common services made available through the Army’s Common Operating Environment (COE), and incorporate advanced embedded training technologies to aid in operator-initiated system instruction and refresher training.
- Work with the UX team to deliver attractive user interfaces
- Keep up to date with the latest UX design and usability trends and techniques
- Contribute to the system UX style guide
- Work with the UX team lead to assess the impact of any UX changes/improvements
- Work with a team of engineers and developers to ensure any UX design changes help to compliment the overall user experience and journey
- Conduct analysis and create reports supporting UX designs and the overall UX process
- Create UX design wireframes, mock ups, prototypes and final designs across various applications
- Support the UX team of researchers and designers in analysis, design, and prototyping
- Work in an integrated environment, aligning with the system engineering team to coordinate requirements, and software engineering team to coordinate implementation
- Support program milestones including Preliminary Design Reviews and Critical Design Reviews
- Maintain an active role in User Working Groups; presenting wireframes to program stakeholders, and obtaining and incorporating feedback
- Other duties as required
- BS and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Must have strong working knowledge of Axure and other wire-framing and prototyping tools.
- Strong understanding of UI design techniques and tools
- A passion for Interaction Design
- Excellent attention to detail
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates a range of UI design techniques
- Excellent analysis and critical thinking skills
- Able to multi-task and function in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to obtain a DoD SECRET security clearance
- US Citizenship is required
- Experience with HTML, CSS and jQuery and Angular highly desirable
- Experience using the Adobe Creative Suite including, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience using Agile Project Management tools such as, Jira
- Experience with working with military operations and ground troops – especially Army and Marines a MAJOR plus
- Proficiency with MS Office Products (Word, Excel, Visio, & PowerPoint
- Ability to convey technical designs, ideas and results to non-technical audiences and provide briefings to high-level government personnel
- Experience on a computer system for weapons control
- Experience with Command and Control applications
- Experience with AFATDS, Army Common Operating Environment (COE) or other PM MC systems
- Currently possess an active DoD SECRET security clearance
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.