Leidos has an excellent opportunity for an early career Materials Engineer to work on the Cargo Mission Contract (CMC). In this position the materials engineer will perform materials evaluations/recommendations for extra and intra vehicular hardware for the International Space Station. This individual will also be responsible for managing CMCs internal shelf life extension program. Provide guidance on the selection of materials, suggest improved methods for the manufacturing process, and ensure the delivery of highest quality products. This position will support both new hardware development projects and the sustaining engineering.
- Perform materials and processing analyses for sustaining engineering and new project development.
- Coordinate with NASA materials engineering to obtain final material approvals.
- Manage the internal shelf life extension program through testing and material evaluations.
- Review engineering drawings documents for materials compatibility, corrosion, stress corrosion cracking, flammability, heat treatment, fluid compatibility, thermal vacuum stability, toxicity, microbiological resistance, AO/VUV resistance, and low temperature embrittlement etc.
- Assess fracture properties of materials and assist stress analysts in the fracture control certification process of flight hardware.
- Provide materials data including mechanical properties, physical properties, chemical properties, and fabrication properties to various projects upon request from design engineers, project engineers, stress analysts, and thermal analysts.
- Prepare materials analysis documents including Materials Identification and Usage List (MIUL), Materials Usage Agreement (MUA), Materials Certification, and Material Design Alert etc.
- Support project reviews such as PDR, CDR, Technical Exchange, and CCB meeting for each assigned hardware.
- Provide guidance on the selection of materials, suggest improved methods for the manufacturing process, and ensure the delivery of highest quality products.
- Prepared the NASA WSTF Materials Test Request Form for customers and provide detail materials assessments based on the materials test results and MAPTIS database.
- Review, redline and sign engineering drawings
- Work with NASA materials and processes to obtain NASA materials signature authority
- Experience reviewing engineering drawings and providing guidance to design, stress, and manufacturing.
- Computer skills; proficient with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong background in characterizing and specifying materials and performance in quantitative terms
- Experience communicating with both internal and external customers
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to rapidly engage with diverse and complex engineering problems
- Ability to support multiple projects, prioritize, and accomplish tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
- Self-motivated and proactive; requires minimal direction
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in Materials Science or Materials Engineering and 5+ years of experience in Materials Engineering or a Master’s Degree, or a PhD and 3 years experience.
- Ability to perform thermodynamics analysis
- Material failure analysis experience using Scanning Electron Microscopy is desirable.
- Working knowledge of the MAPTIS database
- Working knowledge of the NASA EDMS, EDCC database
- Previous experience working on government contracts
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Materials Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.