At Leidos we combine our deep customer expertise with tailored analytic systems to distill big multi-media datasets into valuable knowledge and insights. We work side-by-side with advanced research and development organizations such as Amazon, Google, and various top-20 universities to develop solutions.
The fields of data science, data engineering, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, are expected grow rapidly in the next decade. While these trends are somewhat self-evident and obvious, the challenge for Leidos is to identify talented individuals and implement market-tested technical capabilities in data science and engineering to capture value in applied research projects, new business ventures or on-contract-growth opportunities.
The Data Science & Engineering team at Leidos is looking for interns in the summer of 2020 to work in our Arlington, VA office. This is an exciting opportunity to apply your academic knowledge to real-world projects and strategic company initiatives. Successful candidates are working towards a bachelors or masters degree in a data science or data engineering related discipline.
The internship will offer an opportunity for the successful candidate to work with leading Leidos practitioners and team members in data science and engineering on an exciting set of projects. You will work with senior project scientists, engineers, and experts to assist with on-going applied research projects, develop one or more practical solutions (under expert guidance), and develop solutions using your coursework and professional skills. Interns may be assigned to more than one project during the summer based the individual’s interests.
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate education in data science, data engineering, statistics, computer science or related field, with at least 2+ years completed. Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
- Knowledge of Python, R, SQL, NoSQL methods, MSOffice, and an ability to learn new software/programs necessary to run experiments; and ability to follow a defined research or project execution protocol.
- Must be detail-oriented, have excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills to summarize project activities and findings
- Intellectually curious and willing to explore methods and techniques beyond standard school projects and exercises.
- Ability to start DoD security clearance processing, if desired (US Citizenship required)
- Desire to continue working with Leidos on a part-time basis during the school year
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Intern Technical
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.