The Network Engineer plans, supports and evaluates existing network systems and make recommendations for resources required to maintain and/or expand service levels. This resource will provide technical assistance in network planning, engineering and architecture. Also provides and develops technical standards and interface applications; identifies and evaluates new products; provide solutions for network problems. Interfaces with internal/external customers and vendors to determine system needs. Plans and incorporates how new network resources and applications will exist on the network. Provide monthly metrics for network availability and bandwidth usage as well as other metrics as requested. Responsible for network capacity planning. Use network management tools to discover, map and maintain the network. Responsible for network equipment OS and version upgrades. Responsible for conducting research of new technologies and implementation strategies. Monitor and maintain network interfaces to insure its highest level of performance and makes modifications and enhancements as needed. Responsible for documenting procedures and keeping network diagrams and related material up to date. Handle escalated user problems, questions, and request on network issues. Work with other groups within IS to resolve network related issues as needed.
This position is based out of Austin TX but is Telecommuting friendly.
• Design, build, implement, and maintain VX130 network infrastructure as well as connectivity among data centers. These tasks shall be performed in an environment characterized by Cisco enterprise class switches and routers including Cisco 6500’s, s, s, 4500’s, 3900’s, Cisco Integrated Sonet Router (ISR), Cisco Aggregation Services Router (ASR), Cisco Nexus, Cisco Virtual Application Container Services (VACS) and Cisco 6500 Virtual Switching System (VSS). The environment numbers approximately eight firewalls 500-600 switches, and 20-30 routers.
• Perform Network Operating System upgrades on all network devices.
• Design, deploy, configure, administer and maintain network redundancy designs.
• Recommend strategic direction and execution path for our networks, tools, and Contractors. Any recommendations shall be provided to the COR/VA PM(s) prior to any implementation or changes.
• Identify and document design/architecture best practices for ITOPS/IO adoption. Lead technical design/architecture reviews of applicable VX130 instances. Any recommendations shall be provided to the COR/VA PM(s) prior to any implementation or changes.
• Design Network Implementation Plans for Layer 2/3 that include Spanning Tree, virtual local area networks (VLANs), Virtual Port Channels (VPCs), Port Channels, redundant connectivity to ISPs, complex routing/switching infrastructure, extranet connectivity, data center design, and Wide Area Network (WAN) integration. These tasks shall be performed in an environment that includes network interfaces using a variety of network data link technologies such as wired Ethernet, enterprise Wi-Fi and serial interfaces/leased TELCOM connections using Frame Relay, VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), and High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC). Routing protocols used in SDE EO networks include Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Routing Information Protocol (RIP) internal routing protocols, and Border Gateway Protocol (BGP).
• Implement networks per the Network Implementation Plans.
• Design, deploy, configure, and maintain multicast networks. Multicast protocols used in SDE EO include Protocol-Independent Multicast (PIM) dense and sparse mode, Cisco Group Management Protocol (CGMP), Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP), Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD), Bootstrap Router (BSR) protocol.
• Design, deploy, configure, and maintain site-to-site and client-based Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), configure Internet Protocol Security (IPsec), and design, deploy, configure and maintain Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) tunnels.
• Design Network Protection Plans to include firewall perimeters. These tasks shall be performed in environment characterized by, Cisco Firewall Services Module (FWSM), Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) Firewalls, Cisco Virtual Security gateways and Checkpoint firewalls.
• Deploy, administer, configure, update, and maintain firewall perimeters.
• Expand network capabilities through bandwidth optimization, effective transport protocols application, and Quality of Service (QOS) designs to accommodate circuit-voice, Voice over IP (VoIP), web, video conferencing, and unified messaging.
• Participate in support activities such as Disaster Recovery, data replication, infrastructure support activities such as documentation, assist in developing architectural diagrams, and troubleshoot performance issues.
• The Contractor may be required to provide technical support to VX130 and VA sponsored initiatives. Support shall include development of schedules and plans, communication of progress to management in both verbal and written formats, identification of barriers, and identification and evaluation of alternatives.
Cisco WAN/LAN Routing Protocols. Proficient with Cisco OTV (Overlay Transport Protocol), Cisco Firewalls, and Switching Technologies. NOTE: Data Center Experience With The Cisco Nexus 7k, 5k, 2k, Systems and Mellanox Technologies Is Mandatory.
The Contractor will provide 24x7x365 network technical support in the area of connectivity, interoperability with the various computer platforms. Routers and switches must be installed, configured, secured, backed up, tuned and monitored daily. The customer requires an extremely high degree of availability for all systems. Network Support Administration support must include assurance of 24x7x365 availability. Network support shall require t troubleshooting to a wide range of individuals including customers, end users, programmers and analysts, Database Administrators, and other System and Network Administrators.
- BS degree and 2 - 4 years of prior experience or a Master’s Degree with less than 2 years of prior experience.
- VA Public Trust with current PIV
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Network Administration and Ops
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.