NASA is returning to the Moon. The VIPER lunar rover mission (https://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-viper-lunar-rover-to-map-water-ice-on-the-moon) will land a rover at the South Pole of the Moon to map the distribution of water ice, in preparation for the first woman and the next man to land on the Moon as part of the Artemis program. VIPER is a challenging mission. The rover must traverse through the light and shadows of the South Pole, while maintaining Earth communications and sunlight for solar power.
We seek an experienced software project manager to join our team building the user tools for this mission. If you love space, that’s even better. You will project manage the rover driving tools, built on NASA’s VERVE (https://software.nasa.gov/software/ARC-16457-1A), and the mission control software, based on NASA’s Open Mission Control Technologies (Open MCT) platform (https://nasa.github.io/openmct/). You will be working with a multidisciplinary team of software developers, user interface designers and spacecraft design and operations teams.
This role is based at NASA Ames Research Center, but may require occasional travel to support users at other NASA centers around the United States.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
Perform project planning, monitoring, and control, including:
- Discuss and establish priorities with stakeholders.
- Work with the development lead and software engineers to scope software deliverables, establish dependencies, assign tasks, and develop schedule.
- Set software goals and track/measure progress against goals.
- Manage sprints and track issue resolution in the incident tracking system.
- Evaluate and mitigate risks.
- Work with the ground data system project manager to integrate the user tools into the ground data system.
- Report on-going status to the team, management, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 12+ years of prior relevant experience, additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Demonstrated software project management skills in multiple methodologies, especially Agile/Lean.
- Experience managing large multi-year software development and integration projects.
- Practical application of software project estimation methods.
- Understanding of system development life-cycle and system engineering principles.
- Excellent communication skills and decision-making abilities.
- PMP, CMMI, Scrum certification.
- Experience managing mission critical software projects (e.g. flight, space related).
- Open source experience.
- Experience working with Atlassian tools (e.g., JIRA, Confluence).
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.