Leidos has an opening for a Research Engineer/Mission Support Scientist at our Webster, Texas location. The Research Engineer/Mission Support Scientist (MSS) will support Rodent Research (RR) Missions on the International Space Station. A MSS works closely with a NASA contractor team to help mission investigators define, develop, and implement their research in space. MSS’s are assigned to several rodent research missions and are responsible for acting as a liaison between the investigators (or their representatives) and the RR Program Interfaces to represent their scientific concerns to various groups within NASA, and will help the investigator teams develop flight and ground hardware kits, crew procedures, plan ground and inflight activities, assist in crew training, and provide a variety of related services. As a Ground MSS, this position will focus on activities at the launch facility, ensuring hardware and kits are built and ready for ground operations, logistics are thoroughly planned and provide support to the PI teams during ground operations.
- Serve as a liaison/advocate between mission principal investigators (PI) or their representatives, and the RR Project, responsible for maintaining PI awareness of schedules and implementation issues, which require their attention and participation.
- Provide engineering discipline expertise to assigned missions including: (1) Definition and management of requirements; (2) Hardware/Engineering support at meetings; (3) Console support for assigned projects/missions as required.
- Track hardware usage and consumable usage across all missions
- Develop plans to ensure supplies are available for on-orbit activities based on launch schedules
- Look for improvements and efficiencies in hardware design and logistics across missions
- Assess impacts to external stakeholders and coordination plans for risk mitigation/strategy
- Define kit contents for on-orbit use
- Proactive schedule and technical risk management for all aspects of support.
- Prepare for and support crew training by ensuring facilities, consumables, and hardware are available as required.
- Support validation of detailed experiment procedures, checklists, and cue cards (for both nominal and off-nominal scenarios).
- Adhere to appropriate safety, quality, and environmental practice, as well as business ethics practices.
- Develop and demonstrate the interpersonal skills required to maintain productive working relationships with co-workers, management, and the customer.
- Personnel may be exposed to live animals, animal dander, sharp medical supplies, steam and hot water, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and other hazards associated with rodent research.
- B.S. degree in Biomedical Engineering (other science or engineering degrees considered with relevant experience)
- 1+ years relevant experience
- Additional years experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and problem solving skills
- Previous experience in a team environment and ability to multitask are essential.
- Prior experience with Maximo
- Prior NASA hardware experience
This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and/or systems. Work cannot begin on the contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.