The Leidos Security and Transportation Technology (S&TT) Division currently has an opening for a Research and Development (R&D) Scientist in Vista, CA. Leidos designs, manufactures, and maintains an extensive product line of non-intrusive inspection (NII) equipment, radiation detection equipment (RDE), and explosives detection systems. These products employ a variety of x-ray producing machines and x-ray detectors as well as imaging techniques. The R&D scientist will be responsible for technology design studies in support of new product development and existing product enhancement. The successful candidate will be a key member of the S&TT engineering department’s product development team with primary responsibilities for designing x-ray imaging subsystems for new product offerings. These will include system modelling, detector technology specification and selection, and informing x-ray source requirements.
The R&D Scientist will:
• Be responsible for physics design of x-ray sources, x-ray sensors and x-ray imaging systems
• Collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers in order to develop proof of concept, prototype, and production-ready systems
• Carry out physics modelling of candidate designs to enable technology selection and optimal implementation
• Lead and document design reviews to ensure team buy-in on selected design directions
• Report progress to upper management tracking project status against projected schedule and cost
• Follow established S&TT ISO processes
• Make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through information technology, engineering, and science
Required Education & Experience:
• Master’s degree in nuclear engineering, physics, or closely related field
• 6+ years of experience in the area of ionizing radiation detection technology
• Experience with radiation propagation modelling tools such as GEANT4 and FLUKA
• Self-starter, a team player and hands-on experience
Desired Education & Experience:
• Doctorate in nuclear engineering, physics, or closely related field
• Experience in radiation safety techniques and handling of radio-isotopic sources
• Strong Knowledge in X-ray image processing, pattern recognition, image quality measurement, computed tomography techniques
• Programming in Matlab and C++
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.