NASA’s Distributed Spacecraft Autonomy is centered out of NASA Ames Research Center located in Mountain View, CA. Distributed Spacecraft Autonomy is investigating how the next generation of spacecraft will be operated and interact with each other. We believe that the benefits of distributed systems (availability, fault-tolerance, graceful degradation, etc.) are critical for future space exploration. To truly see the benefits of distributed spacecraft they need to be treated as a single entity with each member autonomously managing responsibilities and sharing requirements.
As a team we are developing the core infrastructure for autonomous coordination between spacecraft as well as both in space and ground application demonstrations. We value open discussion and pollination of ideas with each team member taking ownership of a domain but contributing to others.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Continue development and maintenance of communication application for communication among satellites in the swarm
- Participate in the creation of message definitions for spacecraft communication bus
- Support development of hardware-in-the-loop and processor-in-the-loop simulations
- Develop relevant documents including design, interface specification, test and reports
- Perform unit/integration tests and code reviews
- Bachelor’s Degree and 4+ years deep experience in C development, additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree
- 2+ years extensive C++ experience
- Ability to work in research/quick prototyping/small team/independent/low-supervision environment
- Practical knowledge of software development life-cycle best practices (e.g. best practices in development, code reviews, testing, and integration)
- Must have problem solving skills and prior experience with software integration and integrated systems
- Excellent communication skills with multi-disciplined technical local and remote teams
- Familiarity with Core Flight Software (cFS) or similar flight software
- Experience developing and debugging realtime and embedded software
- Prefer experience with Messaging services, particularly the Object Management Group (OMG) Data Distribution Service™ (DDS) middleware protocol and API standard but willing to train.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.