Job Description – Senior Engineer/Architect
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has a requirement for providing enterprise IT services to DHS Headquarters, and as required or requested, services to one or more DHS Components. Services may include Service Desk, end-user-support, operations and maintenance of infrastructure and systems, private and public cloud services, providing near real-time enterprise situational awareness, and supporting the evolution of the DHS Data Center environment in Stennis, MS.
Leidos is seeking a Senior Engineer/Architect to lead the technical strategy, solution development, and execution of systems and infrastructure information technology (IT) and support services to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Enterprise Services contract. The Senior Engineer/Architect will lead and participate in comprehensive systems design and enterprise architecture engineering oversight to include analytical, and technical support services required to deliver a broad range of innovative, next-generation solutions that include data center infrastructure and multiple cloud solutions (i.e., private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud). These professional services are required to modernize DHS legacy systems, protect their networks, infrastructure, and assets, and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of mission-critical functions to the DHS operators and end users. The individual selected for this position should have a broad technical background spanning many of the technical areas supported by the program. The ability to clearly articulate technical messages for a variety of audiences, both through written and verbal means, will be a critical skill necessary for the success in this position.
The Senior Engineer/Architect will lead the development of all DHS enterprise IT infrastructure and services plans, oversee implementation of approved architectures and engineering efforts, and be responsible for setting direction and promoting continuous evolution of the environment, including architecture refresh, IT infrastructure, end-user services, data center support, and hybrid private/public cloud integration. The successful candidate will have strong organizational and analytical skills with the ability to understand and break down complex architectures with minimum supervision.
Place of performance: Washington DC Metro Area with several short trips per year to other primary DHS locations such as the Data Center 1 location in Stennis, MS.
• Serve as the Leidos principle IT engineer to provide engineering expertise and guidance for the design, development, and implementation of various IT solutions.
• Provide technical expertise and analytic support of current infrastructure architectures, systems, and security across the DHS enterprise to include DHS Data Center 1.
• Lead the research, analysis, solution design and implementation planning of IT solutions for the modernization of legacy systems and networks to include DHS Data Center 1 optimization.
• Drive strategic technological innovation, demonstrating a breadth and depth of knowledge in all things related to a complex, matrixed Information Technology operation in support of DHS enterprise services, end-user-support, Data Center, cloud, and hybrid cloud enterprise.
• Provide technical knowledge and analysis of high-level functional systems analysis, design, and integration advice on complex matters that require expert level knowledge of the subject matter for effective implementation.
• Create, review, analyze, and incorporate technical requirements into Enterprise-Wide and Data Center architectures.
• Collaborate with DHS on assessment, modernization, and/or design of a robust enterprise backup and disaster recovery strategy and implementation
• Communicate critical and time sensitive network planning, performance, and vulnerability information directly to the DHS Enterprise Services Program Management.
• Provide guidance, oversight, and direction for the application of state of the art information technology within DHS data centers, ensuring that the DHS utilizes best in class technologies and practices in support of its missions and those of participating DHS Components.
• Lead the integration and performance tuning of solutions such as QoS, VoIP, VTC, network load balancers end-to-end encryption.
• Lead the development of highly innovative products/solutions, achieved through collaboration and dialogue with other experts.
• Demonstrated expertise in systems engineering, including requirements analysis and system architecture design.
• Demonstrated experience designing and implementing complex IT solutions in a large scale enterprise.
• Demonstrated experience in practical application of life-cycle system engineering for IT infrastructure.
• Demonstrated experience designing and modernizing complex enterprise networks and legacy IT systems.
• Demonstrated experience applying System Engineering Lifecycle (SELC) processes and best practices comprising concept development, requirements engineering, architecture, design and development, integration, test and evaluation, and operations and maintenance.
• Demonstrated experience designing, developing, building and implementing information security within networks and infrastructure using appropriate information security standards, life cycle management, researching, and proposing new technologies for inclusion in future designs, and developing detailed end-to-end network and infrastructure performance assessments.
• Strong organizational and analytical skills.
Desired Skills or Experience
• Currently possess an active Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
• Demonstrated experience with configuration tools such as Tivoli or Microsoft SCCM.
• Prior DHS or DHS Component experience.
• Prior DHS Data Center or OneNet experience.
• Demonstrated experience with server virtualization technologies such as VMware, Citrix, or Hyper-V.
• Demonstrated experience with operating systems such as RedHat Linux, Windows Server, or Unix.
• At least one nationally recognized vendor certification.
• Enterprise Architect Certificate or similar certification.
• Network transformation and modernization planning experience to optimize, improve efficiency of services, and enhance network design.
• Active TOP SECRET clearance.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Requires a BA/BS or equivalent experience and 5+ years or prior relevant experience or Masters with 3+ years of prior relevant experience. Generally has 2+ years of experience supervising or leading teams or projects.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.