Leidos is trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to our Power Delivery Services for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Currently, we have an opportunity for Lead Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering. Hiring locations include: Sacramento, San Diego, LA and San Francisco, CA.
The successful candidate must have experience in developing the work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready and Street Light projects, using customer GIS and WMS systems such as GE Smallworld, Bentley Expert Designer and Maximo. The candidate will be comfortable in both a field and office setting, and will trained in customer engineering and construction standards. Successful candidates will have experience conducting structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, calculations of electric demand and fault currents. Candidate should have experience in coordination of conflicting utilities, and other field engineering design requirements, the assessment and development of design big packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements and ROW applications, and the design of mainline vault medium voltage switchgear, network system design and distribution system protection and coordination.
Background must haves
- Bachelor’s Science Engineering (EE preferred) is required and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 6+ years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering (EIT/FE credential or PE license is preferred)
- Experience with Voltage Conversion projects, Conductor replacements and OH to UG conversions
- Engineering experience with structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, calculations of electric demand and fault currents
- Providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC
- Experience with CA GO95
Nice to haves
- Experience with Pole Foreman and SOCKET
- Experience using MicroStation--performing Electrical Distribution design
- Experience with rear to front lot conversion projects
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills and supporting of customer advocacy
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Professional dress and demeanor
10%-20% working with client in office or field visit
50%-60% Engineering and development of design pkgs for customer
20% admin/planning/customer followup
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Distribution Design Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.