Leidos has an opening for an Urban Air Mobility Software Engineer to lead the on-site software development team for NASA’s Urban Air Mobility (UAM) air traffic management system. UAM’s purpose is to manage a new class of aircraft that will carry small numbers of passengers among “vertiports” in urban areas. These vehicles are expected to be battery-powered tilt-rotor aircraft, which are in prototype development by many companies today including Uber, Boeing, and various start-ups. This is the beginning of a new aviation industry that is expected to be attracting thousands of passengers per day by the end of this decade.
The UAM NASA team recently won the 2019 NASA Software of the Year Award for NASA’s UAS Traffic Management (UTM) system, which demonstrated engineering and regulatory concepts for air traffic management of small (55 lb or less) unpiloted aircraft systems. The team worked closely with the FAA, which is adopting these concepts as described in a recent Advance Notice of Proposed Rule Making.
Now we’re building on our existing technology and experience to take on an even greater challenge – an air traffic management system for a new class of passenger-carrying vehicles – and the goal is autonomous aircraft PLUS a high degree of autonomy in the traffic management system itself!
- Lead software development team for NASA’s Urban Air Mobility air traffic management system.
- Developing, deploying, and debugging cloud-based applications
- Determine AWS security best practice
- Provide technical guidance to ensure alignment with Engineering architectural vision and best practices
- Identify/Define/Refine Engineering processes to streamline product delivery and ensure quality
- Facilitate Agile project planning and execution by running weekly and monthly sprint planning, as well as by tracking cross team dependencies to ensure prompt delivery
- Lead, recruit, and mentor software engineers.
- Interface with multi-disciplinary teams internal/external to NASA
- BS degree in Engineering or related field
- Ten plus years of experience building scalable Java based web applications for the cloud
- Four plus years of experience managing software engineering teams that can design APIs, perform CI/CD
- Strong understanding of Server-Side technologies: caching, process and asynchronous processing
- Micro-service architecture development and management experience
- Strong RESTful API design for developer audience
- Risk management including characterization, mitigation, and tracking
- Experience with geo-spatial databases such as PostGIS
- Knowledge of CI/CD tools like Ansible/Chef/Puppet
- Familiarity with Air Traffic Management
- Familiarity with unpiloted aircraft systems (UAS)
This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and/or systems. If you are not a United States Citizen or Green Card holder, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.