Leidos is looking for a Software Engineer to be a key part of a team of developers writing and
extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research, including connected vehicles and human factors, in McLean, VA.
We are part of a larger research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that performs research and development on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) for the FHWA, including work with connected and automated vehicles. This work involves development and maintenance of various back end systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity. We also study human factors, such as a driver’s ability to recognize and react to various situations, including interaction with automated vehicles. Because we have a small team with highly varied projects, an ability and interest in doing a variety of work is valuable. However, the
intention is that this position will primarily focus on back-end systems.
Engineering life cycle activities will include detailed software design, coding, unit testing,
automated test planning and development, software integration, system testing, user documentation, and customer interaction.
As part of a close team, the engineer will need to:
• Be a good team player and be able to give and take critical feedback on work products
• Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
• Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
• Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
• Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
• Work hard for the team’s success
Required Education & Experience
• BS in computer science, engineering or other science discipline with 2+ years full-time professional experience in Java and Linux environments, as well as C, C++, C#, Python, SQL, Windows or MS in computer science, engineering or other science discipline with 1+ years full-time professional experience in Java and Linux environments, as well as C, C++, C#, Python, SQL, Windows
• Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive experience
• Working knowledge of UML design language
• Ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance
• Experience with ROS
• Network design, configuration and maintenance
• Wireless communications, including cellular, WiFi and DSRC
• Knowledge of IP concepts, techniques and common practices (e.g. working with sockets, internal vsexternal IP addressing, routing, etc)
• Experience with Git, Maven and Gradle
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.