Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
»Command & Control
An Environmental Microbiologist is needed to develop a database of microbial processes that could decrease storage capacity through pore-plugging pathways such as biofouling and/or biomineralization. Additionally, pathways that have other potential negative impacts will be investigated, such as the mobilization of rock material through biocorrosion, which could lead to storage failure mechanisms. Finally, the development of data sets and interpretations of data for biogeochemical interactions in unconventional oil and gas reservoirs and carbon storage environments will be investigated.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Present ideas and results to the research team.
- Contributing to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Working independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assisting or leading efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- Perform, field-based collection of geologic fluid and solid samples from oil and gas well sites, produced water facilities, natural spring water sites, and other locations as determined.
- Maintenance and coordination of laboratory capabilities associated with the Pittsburgh site Biogeochemical Processes Laboratory.
- A minimum of a Ph.D. in microbiology or related field is required along with less than 1 year previous experience in the extracting DNA and preparing sequencing libraries from geological samples.
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to present results, and a willingness and interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment to drive towards overall project and team objectives is also highly desired.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the following analytical techniques:
- DNA extraction, amplification, purification, and quality assessment from subsurface oil and gas environments and carbon storage environments.
- Both 16S sequencing and shotgun sequencing methods on the Illumina platform.
- Interpretation of ASVs and OTUs with geochemical correlations.
- Assembly and annotation of metagenomic sequencing, construction of metagenome assembled genomes, reconstruction of metabolic pathways via PATRIC, RAST, and CLC Workbench.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.