Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
Leidos is seeking an Advanced Transport Phenomena Simulations Engineer with experience in Computational Fluid Dynamics and Transport Phenomena Modeling. This position is available in Albany, OR, Morgantown, WV or Pittsburgh, PA.
The research will focus on developing and interpreting advanced transport phenomena models for carbon capture with state-of-the-art solvents. The models developed will be in the core of a thematic effort to revolutionize the design of new generation carbon capture systems with reduced size and improved performance.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Developing and deploying high-fidelity state-of-the-art, multi-phase models to capture the coupled physics and chemical reactions for carbon capture with solvents.
- Contributing to the theoretical understanding of simulation results emerging from the interplay between heat, mass and momentum transfer with thermodynamics and reaction kinetics.
- Programmatically parameterizing non-trivial structures through advanced algorithms of differential geometry with the capability of informing the CFD models through API tools on the structural changes.
- Creating an integrated programming framework that can lead to improved design on a device scale satisfying reduced operating and capital cost criteria.
- Contributing to the efficient transfer of information between process and CFD modeling platforms.
- Calibrating and validating the CFD models against experimental results using state-of-the-art commercial or open source algorithms and tools for curve fitting and parametric estimation.
- Working with Machine Learning teams to create Reduced Order Models and Surrogate Models based on the CFD results.
- Potentially transferring elements of the above framework to sorbents and membranes modeling for Carbon Capture.
- PhD. in engineering, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience in Computational Fluid Dynamics and Transport Phenomena Modeling.
Required Experience in the Following Areas:
- Computational-theoretical transport phenomena.
- Multi-phase flow modeling: Level set/Phase Field Methodso Numerical Methods for PDEs and Optimization.
- Comsol Multiphysics/equivalent software-Chemical Engineering, CFD and Heat transfer modules.
- Programming skills in Matlab-Simulink, Python, Julia, Fortran, C, C++o High Performance Computing.
- Designing in CAD software.
- Experience in carbon capture technologies.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.