The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) is seeking a Senior AI-based Autonomous Systems Engineer for a leadership position in Dayton, OH. The Senior AI-based Autonomous Systems Engineer will work with other senior leaders in the LInC, the Office of Technology (OoT), and across Leidos to support multi-domain autonomy by developing solution patterns, advancing and adapting the Leidos autonomy architecture, leading AI-based autonomous systems programs, and representing Leidos capabilities in such systems to our customers, our internal and external partners, and the community.
The Senior AI-based Autonomous Systems Engineer will help lead the formulation and execution of an ambitious research agenda in Autonomy and Artificial Intelligence that focuses on delivering key capabilities to our customers and markets. He/she will lead the selection, design, and delivery of scalable solution patterns that enable rapid development of new solutions across programs. He/she will lead a team of Scientists and Engineers who provide direct support in Autonomous Systems and will play a principal role in supporting these activities across Leidos.
- Design, articulate, and lead development of subsystems that provide AI-based autonomous architecture and capabilities to support a large DoD program.
- Lead a team of engineers and scientists developing and delivering autonomous solutions in a range of technology areas, from perception and situational understanding to planning and decision-making to behavior and action execution to collaboration and manned-unmanned teaming.
- Serve as a leading technical expert on Autonomous Systems within Leidos and across the community.
- Bachelor's Degree with 12 years of experience or a Master's and 10 years of experience is required.
- Technical leadership within major AI-based autonomous systems in industry, academia, or government, including at least 5 years of technical leadership within major autonomous systems programs.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of many areas of AI (Machine Learning, Bayesian, fuzzy, Dempster-Shafer, or symbolic reasoning) and related key technical disciplines including:
- Mobile / edge-based / fractionated / cloud / hybrid containerized deployment architectures
- CPU/GPU/FPGA-based computation
- Secured data including multi-level classified data
- Proven ability to design, articulate, and deliver complex, large-scale AI-based autonomous system solutions thatare scalable, robust, secure, and resilientdeliver clear, measurable value to program owners and end users.
- Ability to communicate effectively about autonomy and AI with a broad range of audiences, from internal leaders to external customers and from sophisticated AI researchers to those with little or no relevant background.
- TS/SCI preferred. The ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance is strongly preferred.
- Established relationships with leading autonomous systems and AI companies.
- Experience in designing solutions that optimize performance by through advanced HW and software techniques.
- Familiarity with leading commercial and Open Source Autonomy / AI / ML / Data Science platforms.
- Hands-on experience with one and familiarity with a broad range of autonomous systems development tools (e.g., CARACaS, Moose/IvP, ROS, SOAR, and ACT-R) and modeling and simulation tools (e.g. AFSIM, Gazebo, AirSim, and Matlab/Simulink).
- Experience with and ability to formulate solutions using one or more of the following open unmanned system architectures: OMS, JAUS, UMAA, UCS, or equivalent.
- Experience fielding, testing, and evaluating AI-based autonomous systems including live/virtual/constructive field testing.
- Experience designing, developing and deploying multi-platform teams of autonomous systems (e.g., swarms, heterogeneous teams, manned-unmanned teams, or collaborative teams)
External Referral Bonus
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.