Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos currently has an opening for a Research Engineer to work at the US Department of Energy National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Morgantown, WV. The Research Engineer will support research in optics, photonics and laser processing of materials. The primary duty will be to conduct research on crystalline optical fiber fabrication, coating, and processing, through operation, maintenance and modification of a Laser Heated Pedestal Growth. Support for the research will require LabView programming and use of lasers, optics, computer vision, and photonic components. Duties will also include providing incidental support for the other optics and sensors projects and laboratories, including specification and procurement of laboratory supplies and equipment.
Responsibilities are functional in nature and performed under limited supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for meeting task requirements of NETL and LRST research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- Responsible for providing R&D technical support for the NETL Advance Sensors and Controls team.
- Responsible for assisting the Advance Sensors and Controls team to fabricate uniform, high quality, low loss single crystal sapphire fiber, fabricate customized high-quality single crystal sapphire fiber, develop novel optical fiber sensors for harsh environments, and present technical findings during regular team meetings as well as at workshops and professional conferences.
- Responsible for operating, maintaining and modifying a laser heated pedestal growth system (LHPG).
- Responsible for creating new functions to control, monitor and analyze the single crystal fiber growth process with Labview and Matlab.
- Responsible for testing the optical properties and performance of the single crystal optical fiber made by the LHPG system.
- Active participation in group meetings of the Functional Materials Development Division, as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
- PhD in Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, materials science, optics, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 1 year work experience post-PhD.
- Proficiency in mechanics: 3D CAD design with Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor or similar packages.
- Considerable hands-on experience in mechanical system design and experience in mechanical parts fabrication using manual and CNC machine tools.
- Proficiency in optics: experience in light path alignment and measurement in complicated optical systems, free-space-to-fiber coupling, experience in optical fiber sensing; specifically with applications in harsh environment sensing, experience with Raman DTS (distributed temperature sensing), OTDR (optical time-domain reflectometry), OFDR (optical frequency-domain reflectometry), FBGs (fiber Bragg gratings) and general spectroscopy techniques.
- Proficiency in Matlab and Labview for research instrumentation and data collection.
- Experience with machine-vision systems and digital image processing.
- Experience as a Laser Operator in an ANSI compliant laser safety program.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the writing of scholarly publications
- Demonstrated proficiency in collaborating technical findings with external research organizations such as research laboratories and/or academic institutions
- Ability to document and present research results, including using power point presentations and making podium presentations at technical meetings.
- Preference for experience in a national laboratory environment or industrial R&D lab where safe working practices are paramount.
- 1 year experience operating, maintaining and modifying a laser heated pedestal growth system (LHPG) for fabricating single-crystal optical fibers.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.