The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Assistant to support biological research in support of the Biological Defense Research Directorate (BDRD) at the Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC) in Frederick, MD. The BDRD within NMRC facilitates biological research for the rapid detection of infectious diseases of global importance and the enhancement of global disease surveillance for early pathogen detection and response.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Perform laboratory research projects including collection and organization of data.
- Record detailed observations about experiments.
- Provide basic data analysis and interpretation.
- Assist with the preparation of technical reports, summaries, and protocols.
- Maintain clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks.
- Perform data entry for research projects and maintain databases.
- Maintain compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures.
- Provide leadership in the proper disposal of infectious and hazardous materials.
- Provide quality control, trouble shooting and maintenance of specialized reagents and equipment.
- Gain admittance to the Biological Personal Reliability Program including submitting to all interviews, tests, trainings, and any additional requests for working in a Biosafety Level (BSL)-3 suite.
- Maintain supplies in the laboratory and keeps the laboratory area clean.
- Work is to be primarily performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday through Friday 0800 to 1630.
- There may be long periods of standing and sitting; as well as handling various chemicals. Working nights and weekends may be periodically necessary for experiments.
- Candidates must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited US university, or international university of equivalent standard, in a scientific discipline.
- Candidates must have 1-3 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Candidates must have knowledge of standard laboratory techniques; ability to follow general instructions; good communication and analytical skills; and must comply with all safety procedures and training.
- Demonstrated evidence of scientific achievement as shown by the publication of articles and reports and membership in scientific societies
- Knowledge of and experience writing and editing technical and scientific research information
- Demonstrated ability to speak well and concisely and confer with professional colleagues on a peer basis.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Laboratory Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.