Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking a Materials Engineering Researcher that will provide support to the Natural Gas & Carbon Capture teams. The Carbon Capture team will develop fundamental knowledge of mixed matrix membranes. The Natural gas team will determine procedures for embedding sensors in the pipeline coatings and liners (metallic and/or multi-layer polymer-ceramic coatings). The coatings prevent leakage and sensors monitor pipeline conditions; therefore, a system pipeline leakage is reduced, and repair/replacement occurs before leaks present significant loss of product and/or safety hazards.
The Materials Engineering Researcher will conduct; analytical, experimental, investigative and other fact-finding work using standard scientific approaches and techniques to support principal scientific researchers, observes, calculates, records and interprets the results of tests and analyses, and designs, constructs, modifies, calibrates, operates and maintains equipment used for these purposes or devised as a result of the work.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Conception of new multi-layer, layer-by-layer coatings for metallic surfaces, apply them to test coupons, and test their corrosion inhibiting properties and other physical properties.
- Design and implement new test equipment for applying and testing layer-by-layer coatings as needed.
- Mixed matrix membranes will be cast into films or hollow fiber thin film composites and tested for CO2 and N2 gas permeance. Also, some membranes will be tested using extended exposure to actual flue gas in a single fiber module at NCCC to determine performance with moisture and contaminants.
- The candidate will prepare technical reports on project scope, milestones and conference/workshop presentations to disseminate research findings, activities, operations, and future initiatives to industry, academic and government stakeholders is a requirement for this position.
- Period status reporting (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and customers.
- The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers. The manager will request the applicant to provide a PowerPoint presentation for group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is generally once every 6 months but can occur at a higher rate.
- This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or science-related field (e.g., biology, chemistry, economics, geology, mathematics, and physics) and 5 years of job-related experience or a Master’s degree and 3 years job-related experience.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness and interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment to drive towards overall project and team objectives is also required.
- Demonstrated experience in mentorship of early-career scientists and/or students is required.
- A PhD degree in an engineering field with specialization in materials engineering Mastery of layer-by-layer coating methods demonstrated by a track record of publications in scientific journals and presentations at scientific conferences.
- Experience with both organic and inorganic materials as layered barriers.
- Experience in common materials characterization techniques including SEM, ellipsometry, TGA, FTIR, gas permeation, and corrosion analysis.
- Familiarity with working in a Research and Development setting.
- Experience conducting research at a GOGO (Government owned Government operated) lab.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.