Leidos has a potential opening for a Senior Medicinal Chemist to support the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) Experimental Therapeutics Branch, Department of Drug Development. The Senior Medicinal Chemist will possess a thorough understanding of pharmacokinetics, pharmacology, toxicology, drug design, use of in silico tools, ability to interpret in vivo results, drug discovery process, purification techniques, and ability to analyze target compound spectra obtained by analytical instruments to characterize compounds such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), infrared spectrometry (IR), mass spectrometry (MS), and elemental analysis.
*This position is contingent upon contract award
- Provide medicinal chemistry subject matter expertise to support drug discovery and development efforts.
- Coordinate with multidisciplinary teams to integrate and apply medicinal chemistry techniques to drug discovery, drug advancement, and study design of research programs.
- Provide strategic advice to leadership based on extensive pharmaceutical industry experience for the identification, characterization, and development of new drugs to protect the Warfighter.
- Elucidate structure activity relationships using multi-parameter analysis.
- Design compounds for drug development projects based on chemical series structure activity relationships and/or literature precedence.
- Prioritize compounds for in vitro and in vivo biological and ADME assessment.
- Possess thorough understanding of relevant animal models of infection and actively contribute to study design and dosing regimen.
- Produce effective reports and presentations to communicate experimental progress and results for internal and external purposes.
- Submit invention disclosures/patent applications and/or peer-reviewed scientific publications.
- Actively seek and author/coauthor research proposals, solicitations, and other vehicles to solicit financial support to meet mission/portfolio needs.
- Identify, foster, and manage internal and external collaborations with other government agencies, non-profits, academics, and private-sector research organizations and companies in order to establish and maintain a pipeline of therapeutic drugs.
- Meet weekly with key administrative and technical staff to set performance tasks, report progress, and troubleshoot technical issues.
- PhD in organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, or related discipline with relative experience working in the pharmaceutical industry.
- 10 years of drug development project management experience with medicinal chemistry expertise leading multiple projects from hit to lead stage to near preclinical development.
- Expert working knowledge of organic and medicinal chemistry.
- Able to use Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ChemDraw and should be familiar with SAR vision, Vortex, or some other suitable chemical mapping/analysis software programs.
- Experience publishing scientific papers in a peer reviewed recognized medicinal/ chemistry journals and/or patents and/or submitting pre-proposals and/or proposals for internal or external funding.
- Work may require working evenings and weekends
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with ability to obtain Secret Clearance
- Experience managing lab operations for GOGO (Government owned Government operated) Lab.
- Experience working in the pharmaceutical industry or military research setting.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Shift:Standard Plus On Call
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.