Varec is seeking a Technical Writer to support the defense portfolio of programs. Varec develops and maintains a suite of software and hardware products, and provides systems integration and lifecycle support services. Working in collaboration with program managers, and leads responsible for development, configuration, deployment and security, the Technical Writer will define, deliver and validate incremental updates to existing user materials and/or create new materials across multiple agile teams.
- Conducting interviews with team members and stakeholders to collect data
- Create technical documentation including manuals, online help, quick-start guide, release notes and other program documents as needed
- Design overall structure and organization of material
- Understanding the principles of single sourcing
- Ensuring compliance with industry standards and best practices of style and format
- Ensuring excellent usage of the written English language
- Providing level of effort estimates for the documentation development
- Work collaboratively with the scrum teams to deliver incremental updates and user material updates
- Work in collaboration with configuration management on maintenance of the document library
- Occasionally support external marketing projects and deliverables
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent with 2+ years of technical writing experience or Master’s Degree with less than 2 years of related experience
- Demonstrated experience writing end user manuals for both technical and general audiences in a software, engineering or manufacturing company
- Previous experience working within an agile team delivering releases in short term, focused, iterative cycles
- Excellent writing abilities and experience using documentation and publishing tools such as Microsoft Office and Adobe products including FrameMaker, Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro
- Prior experience with on-line help publishing products, such as RoboHelp
- Self-starter, able to make sound writing decisions with minimal input or supervision
- Demonstrated capability to suggest and provide new, innovative or most appropriate delivery format(s) for all types of end user materials.
- Experience in developing online help systems
- Experience working on government programs
- Microsoft Certifications
- Adobe Certifications
- Flexible style, able to adapt to changing business priorities and respond to new requests
- Ability to support and foster a continuous improvement culture
- Ability to make difficult, timely, decisions and collaborate with teams to execute plans
- Excellent creativity and problem solving skills
Varec, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is considered the pioneer of inventory tank gauging instrumentation over 90 years. Today, Varec is a worldwide leader in fuels management systems for total asset visibility and control, supplying integrated hardware and software solutions to oil and gas, defense and aviation markets. The Varec FuelsManager® suite of software applications has been a longtime standard of major oil companies and the U.S. Department of Defense, as well as aviation tank farm operators and service providers. With its headquarters and manufacturing facility outside of Atlanta, Georgia, Varec also has offices in Virginia, Australia and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit www.varec.com.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Writing and Editing
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.