Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking an experienced Research Scientist for professional support with a focus on Microwave/RF assisted process development for energy applications. This candidate will help with investigating catalysts to provide economical and clean coal (or coal/biomass) as derived value-added fuels.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Utilize expertise in multiphysics numerical modeling of microwave-assisted process using COMSOL: Specifically including the modeling microwave heating of porous catalyst beds and continuous fluid flow modeling coupled with electromagnetic heating. Utilize coupling EM-field, heat transfer, and fluid flow to solve complex multiphysics systems.
- Utilize expertise with dielectric characterization of materials for microwave system design.
- Use experience in operating pilot scale microwave reactors, industrial microwave system.
- Conduct applied catalysis research using experience toward energy applications using advanced microwave technology.
- Exhibit demonstrated ability to solve technical problems by combining scientific knowledge and hands-on experiments along with numerical modeling of complex systems.
- Provide analytical support including demonstrated hands on experience with GCMS, CHNS Analyzer, XRD, BET surface analyzer, liquid-liquid extraction and others.
- Collect, analyze, and report experimental data from experiments
- Present ideas and results to the research team.
- Contribute to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Work independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assist or lead efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- PhD in engineering, chemistry, physics or similar from an accredited university with 5+ years of experience in applied laboratory operations and analyses in a structured laboratory environment.
- The candidate must possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- The candidate must possess knowledge of and practical experience with catalyst development with a preferred background in coal/biomass processes to value added products.
- 5+ years of research experience designing and developing electromagnetic-based processes for sustainable energy solutions for fuel upgrading.
- The candidate should possess knowledge of and practical experience with state-of-the-art design and characterization for conventional and non-conventional (including microwave based) catalytic reaction systems.
- The candidate should have previous work history in conducting research and development in a structured laboratory environment using high-temperature/pressurized systems and handling a variety of chemicals.
- Experience and/or familiarity with conducting research in a US Government National Laboratory setting where conducting safe operations is paramount.
- Demonstrated ability to author publications and to present results related to their research work.
- Familiarity with HSC Chemistry or similar and statistical software like SAS or similar is preferred.
- Leadership experience on research and development projects is highly desired.
- Supervisory and/or mentoring skills would also be beneficial to this position.
- Experience in materials design, synthesis, and pre- and post-run characterization of catalysts is desired.
- Hands on experience in electromagnetic field simulation such as interactions of electromagnetic field with materials.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.