Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory is seeking a Research Scientist to join our Workforce Development Team. This program is designed to identify recent master’s and doctoral graduates to be part of cutting-edge energy research of importance to the county helping provide answers to today’s pressing scientific questions. This opportunity will allow side by side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory is a multi-disciplinary, scientific and technical-oriented national laboratory. NETL produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems that make coal more competitive, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled men and women at three NETL research sites – Albany, OR, Morgantown, WV, and Pittsburgh, PA – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
Typical Responsibilities could include:
- Meeting task requirements of NETL and Leidos research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team and RIC programs as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- Provide R&D technical support for the NETL team.
- Active participation in group meetings as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing results in relation to experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
- Developing boundary conditions and numerical approaches.
- Developing models utilizing both commercial and non-commercial codes as well as in house codes.
- Presenting technical findings during regular team meetings as well as at workshops and professional conferences.
- SEM analysis and interpretation.
- Geological data sampling, display and interpretation
- Literature survey and reservoir data characterization
- Writing research manuscripts
- Master’s degree in Earth Science or related scientific/engineering field from an accredited university. Must be within two years of graduation with an overall minimum GPA of 2.5.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: This research position is intended to be a term position, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 2 years. You will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, those who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional term. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.