Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos currently has an opening for a Research Engineer to work at the US Department of Energy National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Pittsburgh, PA. The Research Engineer will support research quantum sensing materials, quantum optics, quantum computing, and quantum sensing methodologies for realizing unprecedented performance in advanced sensing instrumentation for high priority fossil energy applications, with at least an order of magnitude improvement as compared to classical counterparts within acceptable costs. Support for the research will also include in microwave/RF (electromagnetic)-assisted chemical processing – particularly in the specialized research and development of electromagnetic technologies for fuel conversion.
Responsibilities are functional in nature and performed under limited supervision. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Exploring electronic, magnetic, and optical properties of nitrogen vacancy (NV) defective nanodiamonds (NDs) quantum sensor materials.
- Bulk and electronic property calculation of NV center: Working with the team to employ a spin density functional theory (DFT) approach and obtain electronic band structures, density of states, location of spin, and defect states accurately.
- Calculation for spherical NV center in ND: Working with the team to create a spherical ND of size around a nanometer and calculate band gap, electronic density of states at a single spin level, and defect charge states.
- Calculations of strain and magnetic field.
- Sensitivity evaluations and measurements: Working with the team to evaluate fluorescent intensity with and without perturbations that vary due to spin manipulation at ground states of NV center.
- Responsible for theoretical and modelling concept of catalytic processes under microwave irradiation.
- Responsible for research and development of electromagnetic technologies for fuel conversion.
- Active participation in group meetings.
- Work independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Lead efforts in preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
Education and/or Experience:
- PhD from an accredited university in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
- A minimum of 2 years work experience post-PhD.
- Incumbent must be able to meet the requirements for gaining clearance to work on the NETL campus.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Knowledge on QIS and expertise specific to quantum computing, and quantum communications using quantum dot or similar techniques. Specific knowledge on implementation at the single- and multi- qubit level is required.
- Solid fundamental knowledge regarding the quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.
- Strong background on electromagnetic coupling of light with materials.
- Demonstrated understanding of quantum materials and their theoretical and experimental aspects.
- Has strong experience on quantum chemistry simulation such as density functional theory (DFT) calculations, gaussian, and atomistic tool kit (ATK).
- Expertise and demonstrated knowledge on surface plasmons (SPs) and surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs) in noble materials for device applications are essential.
- Understand needs that exist QIS implementation for fossil energy applications.
- Has previous experience on working closely with experimentalists.
- Has proficiency on one of the computer programing languages such Fortran, Python or C.
- Demonstrated skills and experiences on electromagnetic responses of materials at different wavelength regimes: optical, infrared and microwave.
- Proven theoretical and modelling concept of catalytic processes under microwave irradiation.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the writing of scholarly publications.
- Demonstrated proficiency in collaborating technical findings with external research organizations such as research laboratories and/or academic institutions.
- Ability to document and present research results, including using power point presentations and making podium presentations at technical meetings.
- Preference for experience in a national laboratory environment or industrial R&D lab where safe working practices are paramount.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to represent Leidos or its clients at conferences or public forums or contribute to technical reports and scientific journals.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.