Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
The Leidos Civil Group is seeking a Research Scientist for its Research Support Services (RSS) contract for the Department of Energy’s (DOE) National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL). NETL is a DOE national laboratory that produces technological solutions for America's energy challenges. The candidate will focus on developing disposable, optical sensors that satisfy certain temperature stability requirements that can be used to provide spatial distribution of temperature inside the boiler. The objectives of the task are to develop and design the sensing particles, along with protective coatings to achieve the desired sensing behavior.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for meeting task requirements of NETL and LRST research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- Responsible for providing R&D technical support for the NETL Reaction Engineering team.
- Responsible for assisting the Advanced Sensors and Controls team to develop and design the sensing particles, along with protective coatings to achieve the desired sensing behavior.
- Responsible for development of light emitting materials that can be used as sensors for 3-D temperature mapping.
- Responsible for reactive core composition development and coating development.
- Responsible for materials characterization utilizing equipment like XRD, Temperature Programmed Reduction (TPR), FTIR, SEM, XPS, etc.
- Active participation in group meetings of the Reaction Engineering Division, as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
Education and/or Experience:
- A PhD from an accredited university in Engineering, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) with less than 1 year of experience.
- The candidate must be able to meet the requirements for gaining clearance to work on the NETL campus.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Strong background in chemical engineering, materials science, reaction engineering, and heterogeneous catalysis.
- Demonstrated skills with the development of light emitting materials that can be used as sensors for 3-D temperature mapping.
- Has expertise in the understanding and synthesis of in the area of pyrotechnics.
- Proven background in methane reaction chemistry and conversion.
- Experience and knowledge in the development of slurry systems for coatings.
- Hands-on experience with coating of oxide-based or related materials onto substrates.
- A solid background and expertise in materials characterization utilizing equipment like XRD, Temperature Programmed Reduction (TPR), FTIR, SEM, XPS, etc.
- Preference for experience in a national laboratory environment or industrial R&D lab where safe working practices are paramount.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the writing of scholarly publications.
- Demonstrated proficiency in collaborating technical findings with external research organizations such as research laboratories and/or academic institutions
- Ability to document and present research results, including using power point presentations and making podium presentations at technical meetings.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: This research position is intended to be a term position, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 2 years. You will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, those who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional term. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.