The Mission Support Operation is currently soliciting experienced linguists at all levels (i.e., entry through expert) for a language services contract supporting an Intelligence Community customer in the National Capital Region (NCR). Linguists will be conducting media monitoring, analysis, and translation on content that may be technical in nature. They will perform a full range of activities in processing textual, video, audio, and social media material, including monitoring, selection, full translation, summarization, and analysis based on the monitoring and analysis of traditional media and social media information.
All work will be performed from the linguist’s home office. The majority of the work will take place Monday through Friday; however, nights and weekends may be required.
Languages of Interest: Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, Dari, Dutch, Farsi, French, German, Hindi, Hausa, Indonesian, Korean, Kurdish, Pashto, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Turkish, and Urdu.
First and foremost, all applicants must have full professional fluency in American English, including a command of common idioms and expressions.
The primary responsibilities of the linguists are:
- Monitor assigned Internet-based media sources and make selections based on customer criteria
- Process source vernacular into translations, summaries, roundups, and other defined products
- Adhere to strict style and format editorial standards
- Respond to requirements from customers by collecting data, analyzing results, and publishing detailed written reports.
- Nights and weekends may be required, as directed by the customer
- US citizen
- Professional-Level proficiency in a foreign language (ILR 3 or higher on a translation test)
- Experience as a foreign media collector, translator, analyst, technical officer, or journalist
- Experience with open source research, including social media exploitation
- Focused knowledge of particular media environments
- Ability to capture geopolitical, regional, ethnic, and cultural elements in text
- Ability to identify and accurately summarize factual points as well as abstract concepts
- Master use of reference materials.
- Must possess ADVANCED computer skills; including MS Office and Internet Research skills, to be able to produce written translations and products and Internet skills that will allow advanced research on the Web
- Ability to work independently and as a contributor to a virtual team
- Self-starter with curious mindset and desire to solve problems and learn new skills
- Strong organizational skills, time-management skills, attention to detail, and strong initiative
- Knowledge of Human Language Technology (HLT) such as computer assisted translation (CAT) tools (e.g,. Trados, Worldserver, OmegaT, or other commercial tools), post-edited machine translation, and adaptive machine translation tools.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and at least three years of experience as a foreign media collector, translator, analyst, technical officer, or journalist
- Experience in translating or summarizing from live or recorded video or audio
- Ability to triage selections to isolate pertinent and nuanced info
- Successful completion of English and foreign language translation testing
- Educational background or professional experience in one or more of the following fields: Counterterrorism, Cybersecurity, Counterintelligence, Counter-narcotics, or Counter-proliferation (or significant educational background in chemistry, biology or physics).
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.