Unleash your talents at Leidos! Through advanced technology, scientific discovery and mission-focused achievements, let Leidos show you how to accelerate your career path. We have an immediate opportunity for a Geophysicist to work on-site at the US National Data Center (US NDC) at Patrick AFB, FL. The candidate will support a multi-year program involving a state-of-the-art nuclear test monitoring system.
The US NDC is the geophysical data acquisition, data processing, reporting and archiving component of the United States Atomic Energy Detection System (USAEDS) operated by the Air Force Technical Applications Center (AFTAC). AFTAC's mission is to monitor compliance with nuclear test ban treaties by acquiring, processing, reporting, and archiving data from a worldwide array of seismic, hydro-acoustic and infrasonic sensors.
In this role, you will work with a team providing operations support and maintenance for the system, and performing scientific and engineering studies to enhance its performance. This position involves analyzing, prototyping, testing, and evaluating changes to operational geophysical data processing. Duties will also include prototyping algorithms and optimizing configuration parameters to enhance the geophysical capabilities and performance of the system, especially its automated processing.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- US citizen with active DoD Top Secret clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret/SCI clearance
- BS in Physics, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Geophysics, or related field and 4+ years of relevant experience including geophysical data
- Competency in digital signal processing (detection, feature extraction, etc.), time-series analysis, linear and vector algebra, Fourier and spectral analysis, or related scientific computing
- Experience with MATLAB, GMT, or other scientific evaluation tools
- Experience with relational databases and analyzing large datasets
- Strong analytical and problem solving approach
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with automated seismic/hydroacoustic/infrasonic signal detection, seismic event formation, seismic event magnitude, yield estimation, and statistical event identification/classification
- Experience with Oracle databases/SQL, shell programming, and the Linux/UNIX environment
- Experience with Python, C, or Fortran programming
- Knowledge of statistics
- Experience with artificial intelligence or machine learning algorithms and methodologies
- MS in Physics, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.