This position supports the initiatives of the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Cost Assessment & Program Evaluation (CAPE). We provide analytic studies and operations research support using quantitative modeling, simulation, and technical analysis to the Department of Defense (DoD). Leidos is looking for a Scientist or Operations Research Analyst to assist CAPE in their mission to provide quality, data driven analysis and alternatives to senior decision makers within the DoD. CAPE support requires a wide range of analytic capabilities ranging from quantum mechanics and chemical processes to mathematics and statistics; from the development and use of specific war fighting models to evaluation of military operations across a spectrum of conflicts.
The successful applicant will provide critical analyses on topics such as Satellite Coverage, Satellite Communications, Electronic Jamming, Nuclear Enterprise Reviews, Sensor Performance, Missile Defense, Weapons Effectiveness, Systems Reliability and analyses of CBRN attack response scenarios. Rudimentary Cost Analysis may occasionally be required. The ability to compile, scrub, manipulate and analyze moderate to large data sets is also desired.
- Provide analytic support grounded in sound scientific and engineering principles to OSD CAPE.
- Develop computer simulation models from first principles science.
- Develop scripted briefings for the client as needed.
- Analyze and interpret data from multiple sources.
- The ability to work in a multi-contractor environment within the customer’s secure facility in Alexandria, VA.
- Must have a Master’s Degree in Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, Operations Research, or Computer Science and 10+ years of experience OR a Ph.D. in one of the above fields and 8+ years of experience.
- Must have an active Interim Top Secret clearance upon hire.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance and be SCI Eligible.
- Must have 3+ Years of experience in at least one of the following areas: Ballistic Missile Defense Analysis, Space Systems Analysis, Strategic and Tactical Nuclear Forces Analysis, Chemical and Biological Weapons Analysis, Air and Cruise Missile Defense Analysis, Science and Technology Analysis, Survey and Manpower Data Analysis, Counter Terrorism Analysis, Sensor Analysis, Aerodynamic Simulation Development
- A Ph.D. in the Physical Sciences, Mathematics, Engineering, or a closely related discipline is strongly preferred.
- A background in Applied Mathematics developing models of physical systems.
- The ability to interface directly with government operations research analysts and to work both independently and within a team.
- The ability to critically analyze and interpret data from multiple sources.
- The ability to prepare monthly reports and subject matter briefings as required.
- Computer programming skills (Visual Basic, FORTRAN, C, Matlab, R, Python, etc.), especially as applied to computer modeling and simulation are a plus.
Keywords: Radar, Infrared (IR) sensors, EO/IR Sensors, Missile Defense, Aerodynamic Flight, Modelling and Simulation, hypersonic flight, computational analysis, laser systems, directed energy, optics, atmospheric propagation
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Policy Analysis
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.