Leidos is seeking a Lead Hardware Engineer in the Tewksbury, MA area in support of our Security, Detection and Automation business.
The Manager of Hardware Engineering will lead hardware and system architectural design of next generation Security Inspection systems and manage changes to the present product line. As part of this scope, you will plan, conduct and supervise engineering research, design and development and manage a small team of electrical and mechanical engineers.
Generally operates with considerable latitude for unreviewed action and makes independent design decisions. Must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The duties and responsibilities may change from time to time without notice and include but are not limited to the duties described below.
Primary Job Duties:
- High level of oversight of Security Detection platform development projects. Required to drive cross-functional development teams and make decisions that directly define the project direction.
- Manage and provide direction to small team of hardware Electrical Engineers, Firmware designers, and Mechanical engineers.
- Generation of top level and module subsystem design and flow down specifications for next generation detection systems and existing customer system enhancements.
- Interact with functional leads of all design disciplines to generate specifications and owner of the final specification and delivery of the engineering design package to meet this specification.
- Develop system engineering components for major proposal efforts including conceptual designs to meet customer requirements, full subcontractor specifications and statements of work, and overall ownership of proposal engineering content.
- Generation of specifications for major subsystems supplied by product line partners and key suppliers. Management of subsystem development budget, schedule and technical content.
- Some travel to international customers to define system level solution, lead system level integration and validate performance after installation.
- Experience with complex capital equipment development, including sensor system design.
- Broad Engineering background sufficient to analyze design data related to electrical, mechanical, and physical science disciplines. Position requires working with subject matter experts to make design tradeoffs with respect to cost and performance.
- Proven ability and experience with managing major suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Previous experience with development and delivery of large systems containing both standard product and customer specific components. Direct experience with Radar or RF systems preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated past success as an individual contributor with current position in a senior role as system integrator, development manager, or high level system engineer.
- Proven ability to estimate materials cost and labor hours required across engineering disciplines.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills are required for effective interface with all internal and external contacts. Position requires strong presentation skills in front of high-level government officials and internal Senior Management.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent technical discipline. Masters Degree+ preferable. Fifteen (15) years experience in analysis, evaluation, design and development of equipment or systems. Knowledge of amplifiers, converters, oscilloscopes and logic analyzers, test equipment and components.
- Working knowledge of low-noise sensors and/or Radar systems a plus.
Previous experience with mathematics of image formation and analysis a plus.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Engineering Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.