Leidos is seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer in the Tewksbury, MA area in support of our Security, Detection and Automation business.
We are looking for a Principal Mechanical Engineer who would design, develop and deploy our x-ray systems for airport application. The successful candidate would act as a leader who would mentor assigned staff and create a work environment that is conducive to teamwork and strong professional development. The successful candidate for this position would be able to plan, conduct engineering research and take a project from the conceptual stage through to completion, taking into account budgeting and operational considerations.
- Hands-on design and develop x-ray systems components and assemblies from concept to field deployment. Responsible to ensure all existing and new designs comply with internal and external customer requirements. Represent mechanical engineering team in projects and cross functional team communications.
- Provide project leadership for all mechanical related design works. Establish schedules, budgets and resources and execute projects as planned.
- Responsible to manage and publish technical design specifications that includes breaking down customer, product lines, sales and key suppliers requirements into subsystem specifications. Define test strategy with traceability back to requirements to ensure compliance.
- Hands-on design including concept generation, 3-D modeling, manufacturing drawings, Bills of materials and ECO submitting process. Lead the prototype assembling and testing activities.
- Follow established development process and conduct required gate reviews for all mechanical engineering related designs.
- Provide high level engineering analysis using state of the art FEA and other applicable tools. Review, publish, and present results to management.
- Interface with internal teams and provide support and resolutions to production and field issues.
- BS in Mechanical with a minimum of 15 years of experience working with large capital equipment. Master Degree level is preferred.
- Core experience in large machine structure and component designs, dynamic and static analyses, GD&T, heat transfer, and motion systems. Position requires working with subject matter experts to make design tradeoffs with respect to cost and performance.
- Proven experience with managing major suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Proven experience to estimate project budgets, schedules and resources for mechanical system and subsystems.
- Demonstrated past success as an individual contributor with current position in a senior role as lead principal or senior mechanical engineer.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills are required for effective interface with all internal and external contacts.
- Previous experience with the development of x-ray equipment for airport application preferred.
Travel: As needed
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.