The Systems Engineer role provides expertise to an Enterprise Monitoring team tasked with devising and implementing a coherent strategy for infrastructure monitoring and alerting across a multi-network environment. The ultimate objective of the team is proactive, automatically deployed monitoring that sends alerts when potential issues first appear, allowing the appropriate teams to resolve those issues before mission users are affected. This role supports software systems development in an Agile environment, including documenting system needs, system interfaces, and data sources; and supporting technical planning, development, integration, and verification and validation. This role refines
Agile features into actionable user stories to be delivered by the systems engineer and the rest of the team. The desired candidate demonstrates a combination of abilities, including system design and analysis as well as communication, mathematical and business skills. They implement new systems, correct software and configuration errors in existing systems, and improve performance through software upgrades. Flexible cross-training to also provide systems engineering, solution development, training, security, and testing is also desired.
- Design, build, test and maintain scalable and stable technology solutions to meet mission system monitoring needs
- Responsible for end to end development environments
- Utilize experience with SolarWinds including installation and configuration to improve implementation and address evolving system needs.
- Create Ansible playbooks that allow automated deployment of monitoring agents onto application servers without Enterprise Monitoring team involvement at server provisioning stage
- Perform automation tasks through scripting and testing
- Leverage AWS (creating CloudFormation scripts, automate processing, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, SNS, SQS, etc) in the development and hosting of system monitoring solutions
- Leverage experience with Nagios installation and configuration to remove gaps in system monitoring capabilities
- Create documentation to include flowcharts, diagrams, manuals and any other required or requested deliverables.
- Support training Help Desk, Tier 2, and application development teams in the usage of system monitoring solutions.
- Participate and contribute in the entire implementation process for new applications and enhancements to existing applications
- Use the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology to document requirements, configure, test, implement and support efficient solutions
- Derive an understanding of system requirements from stakeholder needs
- Rotate between O&M to Dev Ops roles as required for Agile processes
- Evaluate alternatives including cost and risk, supportability and analyses for total systems; resolve highly complex multi-domain systems issues
- Extensive experience working in an Agile environment
- System design and development
- Integration of systems
- Extensive experience with system monitoring COTS products
- Extensive experience with creating and testing Ansible playbooks or other similar automation technologies
Typically requires Bachelors with 12-15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 12-13 of prior relevant experience. Additional years of experience can be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- Candidate must have an active TS/SCI with polygraph.
- Experience working on ODNI systems
- Understanding of ODNI system development policies
- Experience with structured analysis and design methodologies
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.