The Project Engineer position will be part of the capital improvement program managing the modernization of McMurdo station. Projects range from civil earthwork, station utilities construction, and facility construction along a mix of self-performed and subcontracted work. This Project Engineer position is based in Centennial Co, but may require deployment to project sites in Antarctica during the Austral Summer (Oct - Feb).
The Project Engineer coordinates with the AIM Project Manager during the various phases of a project. This includes preliminary scope development, pre-project planning, costing, change control, scheduling, procurement, project execution, and project closeout. Oversees review for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, codes, and customer requirements. Oversees design changes, specification, design management, and drawing releases. Coordinates activities concerned with project development, scheduling, and resolution of scheduling conflicts. Other tasks as assigned.
The Project Engineer will help plan, schedule, develop material takeoffs, and assist in determining resource loads for up-coming projects and will work with the engineering staff, construction managers, planning and controls, and project managers to ensure that designs are complete, materials are procured, and resources are identified as required to meet project requirements.
Specific job duties include:
- Performs planning and engineering tasks as required to support construction estimates, schedules, and procurements. This may include design reviews, constructability reviews, performance of material take-offs, development of “bills of materials” based on engineering design drawings and project specifications, development of engineering cost and labor estimates, and is directly responsible for the project engineering design and related activities.
- Manages required design and specification changes prior to construction.
- Keeps the relevant team members informed of project engineering status, issues, and changes for the project.
- Manages engineering activities following project plans, specifications, and project schedules.
- Participates in project meetings/teleconferences to support progress, implement procedures, and ensure compliance with engineering specifications and standards.
- Interacts with National Science Foundation, military and other agency officials in a professional and tactful manner, on an as needed basis.
- Communicates professionally, both orally and in writing, with subordinates as needed to relay information they need in order to be successful in their jobs. This includes, but is not limited to, staff meetings, performance appraisals, job requirements, projects, Quality Standard Procedures, and safety practices.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring that safety is the highest priority on the job site.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 5 years of professional experience; or 3 years of professional experience with a related Master’s degree.
PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment to Antarctica may be required in this position at discretion of management. If required, the individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, and psychological examination for winter-over positions, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure. US citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- Professional license.
- Experience planning various projects in remote and logistically challenging locations.
- Experience working in an engineering group with Project Managers, Construction Managers, Engineers, Estimators, Project Controls and Drafters to produce project plans from conceptual to “Approved for Construction” drawings.
- Experience using BIM for project engineering execution.
- Field engineering experience, managing field changes, engineering quality control, deliverables, as-built drawings, and other engineering activities supporting Final Completion.
- Experience developing and reviewing project schedules for completeness and accuracy. Primavera and Microsoft Project experience preferred.
- Experience with procurement and material tracking.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Proj and Prog Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.