Leidos is need of a chemist to assist the Combat Capabilities Development Command Chemical Biological Center (CCDC CBC) - Chemical and Biological Protection and Decontamination Division is basic and applied research efforts using state of the art test and evaluation equipment. Located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Edgewood Area, research will support test and evaluation of novel materials, equipment, and method applications for the chemical and biological protection of the U.S. warfighter. Chemist’s efforts will perform tests and experiments in support of principle investigators on multiple funded projects for various Government agencies. Support involves testing and evaluating toxic industrial chemical (TIC), toxic industrial material (TIM), and various chemical warfare material (CWM) and will required the performance of gas life tests on sorbent materials and filter media, performance of breakthrough studies on filter media, modifying test systems, calibrating analytical equipment, analyzing data, and reporting results.
- Function as a team member with other engineers, chemist and scientists in performing breakthrough tests with toxic industrial chemicals (TICs), toxic industrial materials (TIMs), and chemical warfare material (CWM)
- Operates and maintains analytical test equipment such as gas chromatographs and analytical balances
- Performs work in accordance published processes and procedures with an emphasis on safety
- Generates test data and contributes to technical report development
- Performs bench top experiments, analytical calibrations, and various wet chemistry efforts.
- Contributes in product development
- Reports to on-site Leidos team lead and represents Leidos as prime contractor for the Edgewood Chemical and Biological Center
- Prepares samples for testing, maintains laboratory notebooks, and disposes of laboratory hazardous waste
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Chemistry or related field with 0-2 years’ experience
- Must have current DoD “Secret Clearance”
- Demonstrated experience in wet chemistry applications
- Demonstrated knowledge in analyzing and reporting analytical data
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to wear laboratory personal protective equipment to include an air purifying respirator.
- Experience in operating analytical test equipment such as Agilent Technologies gas chromatographs
- Experience in working with laboratory information management systems (LIMS) and data acquisition software such as LAB-VIEW
- Hands-on experience in working with TICs and TIMs to include cyanogen chloride, hydrogen cyanide, and phosgene.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.