Leidos is seeking a Construction Manager (CM), who will be managing construction projects for the Antarctic Infrastructure and Modernization for Science (AIMS) project for the United States Antarctic Program. Projects range from civil work, utilities construction, facility construction, renovation, repairs. Construction efforts will be a mix of self-performed and subcontracted work, but will be primarily focused on coordination with Leidos general contractor for AIMS.
The position is based in Centennial, CO and requires periodic and perhaps multiple deployments to Antarctica in a single year. It is anticipated that the CM will deploy each season, typically during the Austral Winter (Feb - June). Deployment may sometimes be required during other time-frames as required. Total deployment time is expected to be 4 to 5 months per year.
While in Denver, the CM will collaborate with project personnel in the development and review of upcoming construction efforts. This includes the development of new, and review of existing resource loaded schedules, and development of material takeoffs for self-performed work. The CM will work with the engineering staff, planning and controls, and project managers to ensure that designs are complete, materials are procured, and resources are identified and hired as required to meet project requirements. The CM will also work with other construction personnel, Engineering, Leidos general contractor, and other Stakeholders on constructability reviews and in developing innovative approaches to building design/construction for Antarctica. The CM in conjunction with the project manager will work with Safety to ensure project safety plans are thought out, and meet OSHA and other applicable safety standards and requirements.
While in Antarctica, the CM will oversee for self-performed work, the construction superintendents, trade supervisors, and tradespersons and is responsible for managing resources tied to construction activities and change control activities if needed. The CM will also oversee execution of subcontracted construction activities to ensure delivery of those scopes of work are in compliance with specifications, schedules, quality and other project requirements.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Directly responsible for the execution of self-performed project construction, along with coordination and success of Leidos general contractor’s performed work.
- Manages construction activities following project plans, specifications, applicable codes, and project schedules.
- Keeps relevant project managers and others informed of project status, issues, and incidents for the project.
- Plan and coordinate for availability of equipment, tools and materials required to execute self-perform scopes of work.
- Performs planning and estimating as required to support construction estimates, schedules, and procurements. This may include schedule development, design reviews, constructability reviews, development of material take-offs and “bills of materials” based on engineering design drawings and project specifications, and development of cost and labor estimates
- Responsible for change control during the construction phase of projects and for managing budgets tied to construction activities.
- Identifies required design and specification changes prior to construction, and utilizes the request for information process, documented changes through engineering review.
- Participates in project meetings/teleconferences to monitor progress, implement procedures, ensure compliance with specifications and standards, and ensure safety procedures are being followed.
- Reports project progress in relation to project schedules, and updates schedules at required intervals.
- Interacts with National Science Foundation, military and other agency officials in a professional and tactful manner, on an as needed basis.
- Communicates professionally, both orally and in writing, with subordinates as needed to relay information they need in order to be successful in their jobs. This includes, but is not limited to, staff meetings, performance appraisals, job requirements, projects, Quality Standard Procedures, and safety practices.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring that safety is the highest priority on the job site.
- Performs other duties as required.
PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment to Antarctica is required in this position at discretion of management. When required to deploy, the individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Complies with applicable safety, environmental, health, and waste management policies and procedure. US citizenship or permanent residence is required.
- BA/BS degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related discipline is preferred. Equivalent work experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of prior relevant experience including 5 years of construction supervision experience.
- Experience supervising trades employees, project scheduling and project cost estimating is required.
- Experience executing construction projects in remote and logistically challenging locations.
- Experience working as a construction manager or owners representative, working with a general contractor.
- Experience working in a matrixed organization of Project Managers, Construction Managers, Engineers, Estimators, Project Controls, and Drafters.
- Experience managing field crews and coordinating multiple subcontractors simultaneously.
- Experience managing field changes, quality control inspections, final punch-lists, progress reporting, and other activities supporting Final Completion.
- Experience developing and reviewing project schedules for completeness and accuracy. Primavera and Microsoft Project experience preferred.
- Experience reading and understanding blueprints and architectural and engineering drawings.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 39,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.