Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking a Lead Magnetic Material Scientist that will be responsible for researching, developing theories, and devising methods to apply to the field of magnetic materials and power electronics. Duties include planning, proposing and executing laboratory research, maintaining substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories, and contributing to scientific literature and conferences.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Lead research spanning magnetic materials and power electronics development for high frequency transformer based solar PV / energy storage inverters.
- Responsible for successful implementation of existing funded R&D, development of new funded R&D initiatives, and establishing and implementing a strategy for new capability development across a team of scientists.
- Developing new research approaches and best practices in magnetic properties of electrical engineering.
- Review existing literature data on the current state of testing new and commercially available magnetic cores.
- Prepare technical reports on project scope, milestones and conference/workshop presentations to disseminate research findings, activities, operations, and future initiatives to industry, academic and government stakeholders.
- Nurture existing and generate new relationships with current and future customers in the field of material science and power electronics.
- Period status reporting (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and customers.
- Extensive interfacing with customers and potential collaborative partners.
- Mentor numerous graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and staff scientists.
- This position requires a Ph.D. in material science, electrical engineering or similar field with a minimum of 5 years’ experience conducting research in the field of magnetic material science and/or power electronic material development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to communicate complex technical detail to a broad audience.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.