This is where your legacy begins! The Leidos Innovations Center currently has an opening for a Scientist / Senior Scientist - Biology to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated biologist for advanced technology programs focused on molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics / genomics. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. The group has an immediate need for someone with strong Molecular, Biochemical and Synthetic Biology laboratory and analytical skills as well as experience in mammalian- and/or microbial cell-based protein expression and characterization.
- Contribute to the development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of microbial engineering, prokaryotic and eukaryotic protein expression, synthetic and systems biology.
- Develop novel countermeasures against chemical and biological threat agents
- Develop novel molecular and genomics-based methods for the detection of exposure to biological and/or chemical agents.
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead Candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses. Basic Qualifications
- A Ph.D. Degree
- At least 6 years of technical experience (experience obtained during graduate or postdoctoral work can be counted towards total years of experience)
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
- Laboratory skills: Microbial and mammalian cell culturing, cloning, mutagenesis, cell transformation/transfection, nucleic acid extraction/purification/quantification, heterologous protein expression (mammalian and/or bacterial systems), protein purification and characterization
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplinesPreferred Qualifications
- Synthetic Biology experience
- Protein engineering
- Experience with sample preparation methods for NGS
- Microbiome research experience
- Genome editing using modern tools, such as CRISPR/Cas9
- RNA-based therapeutics
- Experience with genetics/epigenetics
- Possess US government Security Clearance
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.