Be our next Release Train Engineer (RTE) providing technical leadership and direction to support the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Release Train for the D3P system in our Reston, VA office. As our RTE, you will work closely with the System Integration/DevOps and Operations teams as well as Systems Engineers, Software Engineers, Architects, and Operations Engineering/Manager to perform and manage the full spectrum of release train activities. Additionally, provide ongoing release and production monitoring support after each release is deployed.
Fun stuff you will do on the job?
- Work/collaborate closely with the System Integration/DevOps and Operations teams as well as Lead SE and Systems Engineers, architects, software, data, test, and DevOps engineers as well as scrum-masters on the following key tasks:
• Establish and communicate the calendars for Iteration and Program Increments (PIs)
• Manage and oversee entire software release effort to successfully deploy software releases to include hotfixes, defect tracking, production operations status reporting
• Lead software release meetings and oversee release team execution to deliver product on schedule
• Obtain solid understanding of software features in order to plan for current and upcoming releases
• Document release rollout plans/tasks, risks and maintain schedule for release rollouts
• Hold daily release tag-ups/scrum and document minutes/actions/status
• Assist tracking the execution of features (Epics and Stories/Tickets)
• Escalate and track impediments
• Help manage risks and dependencies
• Establish release processes and constantly improve them
• Facilitate periodic synchronization meetings including the ART sync at the Program Level
• Work with Product Owners and other key stakeholders to help ensure strategy and execution alignment
• Coach team members and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices and mindsets
• Provide input on resourcing to address critical bottlenecks
• Facilitate system demonstrations
• Drive relentless improvement via Inspect and Adapt workshops; assess the agility level of the Agile Release Train and help implement changes
• Foster Communities of Practice and use of engineering and Built-in Quality practices
Skills you need to be successful in this role:
• BS in Engineering, Computer Science, Systems Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent experience with 8+ years in software development, release management, or systems engineering. 4 additional years in lieu of degree
• Must have an active Top Secret security clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI with Polygraph security clearance
• At least 2 years of experience working with design and development in an Agile environment for large scale systems
• Knowledge of systems engineering concepts (requirements, design, etc.), systems engineering processes, and applying these concepts to software-intensive systems and release management cadence
• Experience with release management and packaging methodologies and tools with emphasis on deployment of a product that consists of 25+ loosely-coupled code repositories
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are required to collaborate with team members from different disciplines with varying level of technical experience
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment
• Demonstrated ability to participate in cross-functional planning, coordination, and task execution situations involving the full spectrum of system integration activities
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Experience and domain knowledge related to data processing
• Experience with Linux, shell scripting
• Experience with big data applications
• Advanced technical degree and/or certifications
• Scaled Agile Framework certification (SAFe Agilist or other)
• Familiarity with GitFlow development model
• Familiarity with continuous integration/continuous development tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, or equivalent)
• Experience with tools such as Atlassian, Jira, and Confluence
More about the Program:
The DOMEX Data Discovery Platform (D3P) program is a next generation machine learning pipeline platform that will provide cutting edge data enrichment, triage, and analytics capabilities to Defense and Intelligence Community members. D3P will advance the state of the art in mission-focused big data analytics tools and micro-service development spanning the breadth of Agile sprints to multiyear research and development cycles.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.