The Government Health and Safety Solutions Operation of Leidos is seeking a mid-level engineer for the engineering, analysis, and development of a core natural-language-processing (NLP) engine of a new system to perform indexing scientific documents against a custom Thesaurus, to be integrated into an enterprise grants system.
Qualified candidates should possess a strong track record of success in developing state-of-the-art NLP solutions and must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, results-driven individuals who can learn quickly and work well within a fast-paced environment and who have good interpersonal as well as time-management skills.
- Conceptualization, design, development, and testing of an NLP engine for the indexing of scientific text documents.
- Incorporate a custom Thesaurus into the indexing engine.
- Conduct extensive assurance testing of the indexing engine against well defined performance metrics.
- Conduct unit and integration tests to achieve acceptable software quality.
- Responsible for version control and documentation of artifacts produced through approved procedures and protocols.
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline of science, engineering, computer science, mathematics, or linguistics. Advanced degree (Master’s or doctoral) preferred.
- Required experience (at least 4 years of relevant experience, to include):
- Knowledge in all aspects of NLP: tokenization, stemming, stop-word filtering, acronym and abbreviation expansion, normalization, part-of-speech tagging, and named-entity recognition.
- Understanding of controlled vocabularies, scientific thesauri, and ontologies.
- Development experience in multiple programming languages such as Java, Python, R, C, C++, and shells.
- SQL design skills and experience with Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, or other relational database products.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Requires ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
- Desired experience:
- Experience in optimizing software performance and scalability.
- End-to-end development experience in an Agile environment.
- Skill in data science, machine learning, and predictive analytics.
- Experience working in a Unix or Linux environment.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Development
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.