Leidos has an new opening for a Research Scientist to work at Kirtland AFB, NM. This is an exciting opportunity to work at government locations primarily on Kirtland AFB, NM in laboratory settings engaging in research and development of new and innovative high power microwave (HPM) sources, pulsers and antennas. The work will include interacting with scientists, engineers and technicians to design and model new systems, develop test infrastructures, conduct laboratory tests , analyze test results, and write and present test summary reports and scientific reports.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- The successful candidate will work in a new laboratory with modern equipment to bring innovative ideas to the field of high power microwave (HPM) research and development.
- The successful candidate will design, model, test, and characterize high power microwave sources, including magnetrons, Vircators and unique sources, and innovative narrowband and broadband antenna concepts and prototypes.
- The candidate will work daily with other scientists, and engineers and technicians.
- The candidate may also design, develop and field diagnostics and data acquisition systems necessary to characterize sources and antennas.
- The candidate will attend weekly meetings and provide status updates on work activities.
- The candidate will provide written reports and PowerPoint slides to present finding and innovative solutions.
Skills you will need to be successful for this role:
- MS in Physics or Electrical Engineering with 6+ years of experience working in a research and development laboratory
- Expertise using modeling and simulation software (e.g. ICEPIC, HFSS, CST MICROWAVE STUDIO®, COMSOL Multiphysics) to design and modify HPM sources and antennas.
- Experience conducting laboratory tests of HPM sources and antennas
- Experience designing, implementing, operating and maintaining data acquisition systems for HPM source and antenna testing
- Ability to analyze data and write accurate and concise test summary reports
- Ability to work well in a laboratory environment and with scientific peers
- Current DoD Secret security clearance
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills
You will wow us even more if you have this skill:
- PhD in Physics or Electrical Engineering
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.