The Leidos Surface Transportation Solutions Portfolio is seeking a part-time Communications Team Lead in the Washington, DC metro area to provide leadership on and support for contracts with the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) and State Departments of Transportation (DOTs).
Work Schedule: This is a part time position, anticipated to work 25 to 29 hours a week.
Location: Washington, DC metro area. While this position offers the flexibility to work from an office and partially telecommute, the selected candidate must live in the Washington, DC metro area. Non-local candidates will be considered, with the need to relocate to the Washington, DC metro area by November 2020. On average, the selected candidate will conduct in-person meetings, monthly at USDOT.
Travel: This role requires up to 20% travel to project sites (within the US) to support meetings, including meeting preparation and facilitation, writing meeting proceedings reports, and supporting web-conferences and webinars.
The Communication Team Lead will lead communications and outreach efforts for cutting-edge projects/programs in Leidos’ Surface Transportation Portfolio. Specifically, the position involves:
- Contributing creative and technical intellectual leadership in the communications domain to clients and peer staff across a number of technical projects to increase results achieved by projects.
- Developing communications, outreach, and/or marketing strategies – including message delivery and packaging options – for national, state, regional and/or local initiatives that aim to influence and change behavior of professionals (e.g., transportation engineers, designers, planners) and/or the general public.
- Interacting with target audiences and project stakeholders around the country to solicit understanding of messaging needs.
- Facilitating and moderating meetings and workshops in a variety of formats including in-person and web-based.
- Leading projects and teams of varying sizes.
- Drafting content for articles in technical and general media publications, newsletters, and knowledge and technology transfer platforms.
- Writing and organizing content (e.g., brochures, newsletters, web sites, social media, multi-media) for various technical programs.
- Creating summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and lay audiences.
- Planning for, supporting, and hosting in-person and online meetings, peer exchanges, and conferences of varying sizes (e.g., meeting design and logistics, developing and executing media plans, participant travel coordination).
- Leading technical proposal efforts and general business development.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Business, English, Public Policy, or related field, Master’s degree preferred; as well as the following skills:
- 8+ years of related experience. Experience in the transportation industry or in a similar technology/consulting environment is ideal.
- An understanding of communications, outreach and marketing strategies, approaches and implementation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior critical thinking and problem solving abilities.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Ability to transform complicated subject matter and diverse source material into coherent, engaging, and accurate communications for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness – the willingness to work outside strict job description parameters, thinking creatively about how to provide the highest level of service.
- Strong project management skills – the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines within the budgetary constraints and the ability to coordinate multiple engagements simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- The ability to work independently and with small teams.
- A strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- The ability to thrive in highly flexible, rapidly changing, ambiguous work environment.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and successful at multi-tasking and meeting deadlines.
- A self-directed individual who can work independently given initial instructions and guidance and who seeks constant improvement through self-identifying opportunities and peer feedback.
- Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Experienced with online and multi-media tools and platforms.
- Exposure to and solid relationships with national- and/or state-level transportation executives and leaders.
- Demonstrated experience engaging a variety of industry, government, research, consulting, and other professionals to achieve a common goal.
- Strong leadership abilities, and project and staff management skills. Ability to set specific and measurable objectives, continually improve performance and measure impact, and contribute to Portfolio strategic direction.
- Skilled at managing budgets, team performance, and outside vendor deliverables.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:29
Job Family:Marketing Communications
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.