This position will support the modification of the VA's Personnel and Accounting Integrated Data (PAID) application to become a supporting middleware system for the VA's HR/Payroll system (HrSmart). We are searching for a qualified service professional who is well versed in the Relational Database Management System that will help the VA decide on a new database structure based on our current business needs – utilizing MuleSoft and Oracle software. The current application (PAID) utilizes the VA mainframe at the Austin, TX Infrastructure Operations (IO) data center and exists on an IBM mainframe that utilizes a Z/OS Operating System, COBOL language, an IDMS database, and data stored in flat and keyed (VSAM) files. The data analyst would reverse engineer the current application structure - then develop the new structure utilizing Oracle database software.
A Database Architect is needed with knowledge to interpret the existing database structure (IDMS) as well as understand Oracle databases - and then engineer the move of Hr/Payroll mainframe-based data into an Oracle/Unix structured framework (or another Relational Database Management System). The result will be data that can be accessed for reporting by HR/Payroll staff across the VA - and support the mission of the Hr-Smart Application.
The Database Architect will:
Help in setting up developer access to our Oracle instances Help in setting up the database developer tools we have at our disposal Help in completing the design of all of our required databases (we have only just started Employer DB; there are others). Act as liaison between database developers and Cloud support team. Architectural support: work with us and the PAID Decommission architect team to clarify what kinds of database implementations we should use (AWS RDS and Enterprise Data Warehouse/Redshift)
A Senior Database Architect has vast experience in assessing various alternative products, tools, and approaches for data management. Is able to clearly define risks and benefits of various approaches for a given need. Is able to create overarching strategies for design. The candidate will have experience in development DBA. The qualified candidate must have current experience a VA Oracle environment.
- Support the application development lifecycle.
- Lead team including building, maintaining database structures required by applications.
- Process data modeling and normalization to ensure that databases are designed to promote data integrity.
- Translate the logical data model into a physical database implementation.
- Lead programmers in building and editing test data.
- Provide tools to facilitate database testing and data refresh. For example, the ability to compare the contents of two tables and show the differences is helpful to determine the effectiveness of a program execution.
- Lead the application team to ensure that proper methods are used to embed data access and modification logic into application programs. This includes issues such as using the appropriate drivers, JDBC/ODBC implementation, coding proper connections, and so on.
- Ensure that appropriate and efficient SQL is being coded and tested.
- Lead the application team to create and maintain effective database-coupled application logic – stored procedures, triggers, and user-defined functions (UDFs).
- Build, test, and maintain stored procedures, triggers, and UDFs. Successful implementation of these database code objects requires both programmer and DBA skills. Some of the issues involved in successfully supporting these objects include source code management (check-in/check-out), versioning, impact analysis, and code testing.
- Field initial inquiries regarding a wide range of information about contemporary Database technology issues including improvements for existing systems and entirely new database management systems needed to meet specific requirements
- Work with team members, as well as working with computer hardware and operating system vendors to identify and specify database management systems' requirements, developing overall functional and database systems requirements and specifications; feasibility studies and trade-off analyses
- Define data management systems scope and objectives
- Evaluate the feasibility of proposed new and/or re-engineered database management systems projects
- Apply database administration theories, concepts and methods in implementing database systems compliant within IT guidelines/standard operating procedures concerning the operation and use of information systems
- Manage database software; Perform implementation of the database solution at IT facilities within the scope of the project - whether at a facility, regionally, or nationwide
- Work with appropriate project contacts and resources to provide sufficient operational documentation for the continued management of the implemented solution by other IT entities
- Responsible for working with engineering and development resources to ensure that project specifications and the engineered solution adheres to applicable information technology policies and procedures
- Explore alternatives and determines what improvements can be made (e.g., in work methods, processes and procedures)
- Translate functional requirements into designed specifications
- Participate with specialists and managers within IT systems engineering entities, private sector hardware vendors and software vendors to arrive at solutions to mutual problems encountered and to provide knowledge and information concerning state-of-the-art system software, and hardware; Provide recommendations and solutions on database and application architecture, database performance, integrity, security and availability to management
- Engage in extensive communication with concerned IT staff or organizational entities to identify and comprehend not only the specifics of systems requirements, but also the scope of a resulting solution
- Be responsible for communicating with concerned entities, researching the stated requirements, and providing a coherent project specification for other IT entities and/or private sector contractors for engineering and development of solutions; Consult with customers to refine functional requirements
- Communicate specifications to appropriate development and testing entities within the IT organization and/or private sector vendors
- Articulate, communicate and participate in team assignments, projects, problem(s) to be solved, actionable events, milestones, and/or program issues under review and deadlines and time frames for completion; and Participate in teams in identifying skill level and/or occupational specialization; adjusting accomplish the workload in accordance with established priorities to ensure timely accomplishment of assigned service line tasks.
- Master Degree, Computer Science, Systems, Business or related scientific /technical discipline, plus 8 years of experience. 18 years of relevant experience may be substituted for degree.
- Ability to work in a matrix team environment, actively and effectively managing relationships with customers, build and release managers, technical teams, product development, project managers, and other application managers.
- Experience leading information technology projects involving innovation and/or modernization.
- Experience developing and reporting upon metrics relative to operational and financial performance.
- Excellent organization and analytical skills.
- Exceptional ability to communicate with leadership, staff and customers
- Experience with RedShift (plus only)
- Doing DBA work in an AWS cloud environment and working with the VAEC (plus only)
- In our case, experience in working in a cloud environment and interfacing with those who manage the cloud.
- Assists in building/maintaining data dictionary.
- Assists in generating documentation (ERDs, Dictionary Reports, Performance Reports, etc.)
- Assists in data-related capacity planning tasks.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Database Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.