This position is in support of the United States Attorney’s Office in Chicago, IL. The estimated length of this assignment is expected to be through May 31, 2021 with the potential SIX (6) one year extension(s). The Employee will provide a variety of direct legal support assistance services to service the AUSA staff.
Individual may support any division/section within depending on the needs of the office.
Typical assignments include the following but not limited to:
- Performs legal research and drafts documents in support of various cases including research and analysis of statutes, legislative intent, judicial precedents, agency rules and regulations. Electronically files documents with the Federal courts.
- Compiles, organizes and indexes voluminous evidence and exhibits for discovery, witness preparation and trial.
- Duplicates and produces discovery in hardcopy and electronic formats.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of case related documents including exhibit lists, discovery letters, exhibit binders, transcript binders and similar material.
- Works closely with assigned AUSAs to insure case and trial materials are efficiently arranged.
- Maintains regular contact with law enforcement agents to ensure provision of complete and timely cooperation in all aspects of assigned cases.
- Serves as contact person for assigned cases and provides information and assistance concerning status or relevant procedural issues.
- Exercises discretion and judgment in determining what information may be provided and to whom.
- Perform other miscellaneous tasks.
The above mentioned duties may be performed as single functions or in combination with one another. One is expected to perform paralegal/legal assistant duties.
- Proven excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Paralegal Certificate.
- At least ONE (1) year of litigation paralegal experience.
- Must have basic legal knowledge, including knowledge of standard legal citation system sufficient to perform basic legal research.
- Thorough knowledge of legal research tools such as LEXIS and WestLaw.
- Should have hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, database, spreadsheet, imaging, and telecommunications.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software programs (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, MS Access. PowerPoint or other data bases), Word Perfect and Adobe Acrobat Professional or similar applications.
- Knowledge of and skill in the use of automated litigation support software. For example, Concordance, CaseMap, Relativity, Sanction, IPRO or similar software.
- Knowledge of and skill in the use of common office hardware, including personal computers, electronic media duplicators, scanners, facsimile machines, photocopiers, multifunction printers, telephones and similar equipment
- Role also requires basic familiarity with ESI tools and knowledge of e-discovery procedures and resources.
- Ability to consistently deliver highest quality of work under extreme pressure will be very important.
- Ability to work and interact professionally and effectively with all levels of staff.
- Ability to meet established deadlines and work as a team player in a professional office.
- Skilled in meeting and dealing with people in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Demonstrated ability to review a wide variety of documents, both legal and non-legal documents, including Motions and briefs, and a variety of legal correspondence.
- Attention to detail.
- Some walking, standing, bending and carrying of small office items
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Experience working in a Government and/or Litigation Support environment in conjunction with basic qualifications, preferred.
- Trial experience helpful.
- Experience with civil and/or criminal cases.
- Experience with organization and management of a large volume of documents.
- Current or active clearance.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:SCA Paralegal
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.